Page 44 of 142 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    Well said on the first one, but I guess I'd use it as a counter-argument for the second one. Terrible smelling shit having already occurred, we should wipe up, flush, wash our hands, and carry on.
    Wiping one's hands of the horrible shit that's been thought - believed - by some of the posters is a lot harder than wiping one's hands of the things they've said. It's not about flushing. It's about composting​.

(I love analogies)
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    I take all my posts back. I apologise. Instead, this is the post I should have made...

Were you following the thread hypernetic? No, so you have no frame of reference...
    Why are you the only one who can't discuss the actual topic?

You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie...
    You misspelled "gangsta".

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    I think you misunderstand. I don't believe that they are related issues, not that they aren't worth discussing. My point was that people aren't dicks on the internet because of damsels in distress.
    And you know this how?

Even if it's true, stay tuned for the other tropes Anita Sarkeesian will be discussing. Maybe you can find one that is the cause of people being dicks on the internet. Or maybe the light bulb will finally come on that it might not be a singular cause but a cumulative one.

Wow, you brave internet warrior, all alone on the webs in a sea of belligerent women. Who else, you ask, will tilt at these windmills, if not you?
    I just laughed so hard that milk shot out of my nose. XD Well played!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Does anyone know when the second episode is out?
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Quote Originally Posted by Winged Nazgul View Post
    And you know this how?

Even if it's true, stay tuned for the other tropes Anita Sarkeesian will be discussing. Maybe you can find one that is the cause of people being dicks on the internet. Or maybe the light bulb will finally come on that it might not be a singular cause but a cumulative one.
    I don't watch that shit.

So not only did you not read the thread but you didn't watch the video as well?

That's nice.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    You know all those women who are put off by the boys club nature of most mainstream gaming? The ones who mostly dabble in the casual end of the market? Unless you believe that women inherently don't want complexity, fidelity or narrative (and I really don't believe that) then what you have is a vast untapped demand. Market is unformed? Then it's available to create and exploit. The Sims showed what can happen in terms of sales when you touch on the female market.

I think the market is not being rational about this, and is passing up enough loot to get a swimming lesson from Scrooge McDuck. Markets are often rendered irrational by strong cultural factors, yeah?

I don't watch that shit.
    Ignorance.
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

And you know this how?

Just to be fair; it has been routinely proven that the cause of people being dicks on the internet is more or less attributed to them being on the internet. Should I bring up John Gabriel's Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory?

So not only did you not read the thread but you didn't watch the video as well?

That's nice.
    Not enough cute girls in it, sorry.

And he was calling me an ass?

And here we thought you were just trolling.

And here we thought you were just trolling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Herald View Post
    And he was calling me an ass?
    I'm glad RPS still has no sense of humor.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    I think you misunderstand. I don't believe that they are related issues, not that they aren't worth discussing. My point was that people aren't dicks on the internet because of damsels in distress.
    I'm not really talking about people being dicks on the Internet. The response of gamers to gendered tropes is related to the tropes themselves. Tropes cannot be separated from their context because their context is what makes them tropes in the first place. If it only happens once or it doesn't hold any relevance to the medium, it isn't really a trope. How is it irrelevant to discuss these tropes as a both symptom and reinforcement of gender issues in gaming culture?
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    I'm not really talking about people being dicks on the Internet. The response of gamers to gendered tropes is related to the tropes themselves. Tropes cannot be separated from their context because their context is what makes them tropes in the first place. If it only happens once or it doesn't hold any relevance to the medium, it isn't really a trope. How is it irrelevant to discuss these tropes as a both symptom and reinforcement of gender issues in gaming culture?
    I've never played a game that said "shut up bitch, get back in the kitchen".

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Wiping one's hands of the horrible shit that's been thought - believed - by some of the posters is a lot harder than wiping one's hands of the things they've said. It's not about flushing. It's about composting​.

(I love analogies)
    I'm not interested in wiping my hands of things other people believe. I'm interested in mutual respect and understanding. I suppose I don't think of composting as something we do with useless crap. That it can be composted means it has a use to begin with. I'm interested in avoiding the use of toxic non-recyclables in the first place wherever possible.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

I've never played a game that said "shut up bitch, get back in the kitchen".
    Doesn't matter especially much. Micro-aggressions are still oppressive. Seeing characters you would otherwise enjoy dressed inappropriately for the challenges they're facing or stuck in sexy-side-kick roles more often than protagonist roles, or stuck with ridiculous and physically impossible pin-up poses instead of proper idle animations is a problem even if those characters aren't told to get back into the kitchen.

Just so, even if a film isn't outwardly racist ... hiring all white actors to play the parts of Hispanic characters when Hispanic actors are underemployed throughout the industry is still a problem.

And so on.

p.s. At this point, enough games either don't deal with gender or treat with gender relatively well that it's not about asking for everything to change anymore. It's about asking for a heightened pursuit of balance because things are still pretty unbalanced.
    Last edited by gwathdring; 21-03-2013 at 07:14 PM.