Page 47 of 142 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast
    Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbert View Post
    That's really not the case. The Lego Friends stuff is at least as complicated as the more boy oriented Star Wars/Harry Potter stuff of a similar size, all of which is itself a lot more complicated than you may think..
    I'd hardly say Harry Potter is particulary 'boy oriented'... at the school I work at, the girls are as, if not more interested in the Harry Potter books/films as the boys, so applying the 'for boys' label might be a bit premature.

@Nalano:
    Wonderful! What more do you need?
    currently playing: XCOM: Enemy Within

Steam/GFWL/PSN: namefinder

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Subatomic View Post
    I'd hardly say Harry Potter is particulary 'boy oriented'... at the school I work at, the girls are as, if not more interested in the Harry Potter books/films as the boys, so applying the 'for boys' label might be a bit premature.
    My nine year old daughter was obsessed with Harry Potter, she's currently into Star Wars and LOTR so I don't think the draw is gender based, but the sales might be aimed at one gender. Harry Potter, though... I mean it was even created by a woman, for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Back in my day, Legos came in bins.

(They still do.)
    Holy shit that is cheap compared to sets with similar piece counts.
    I'd order one or two if I didn't still have thousands of Legos
    Last edited by Sparkasaurusmex; 22-03-2013 at 06:10 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkasaurusmex View Post
    Holy shit that is cheap compared to sets with similar piece counts.
    I'd order one or two if I didn't still have thousands of Legos
    I gave my collection of some 20,000 bricks to my niece and nephew two years ago. It was Christmas in July.

Rule of thumb was always 5 cents a brick unless it was a specialized brick (like in most technic sets, tho rare pieces and minifigs count, too) at which point it was 10 cents a brick. You could do the math of how many specialized bricks were in a set by that rule.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

What do kids do with action figures usually? With me it was Soundwave, Skeletor, Raphael and Gung Ho hanging around Castle Greyskull recycling jokes I heard on You Can't Do That On Television. Or He-Man and Rainbow Brite trying to outrun the Giant Teddy Ruxpin cause they stole his banana.

It's almost like should I sue Seth Green for stealing the idea for Robot Chicken from me, but that would never float in court.

Banned
    Action figures just give a little more direction to play time. Although as someone who played Starcraft in the giant dirt patch outside my school when I was 7, that may not hold a lot of water with normal people.

Totally explains my obsession with sandboxes though.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Subatomic View Post
    I can't remember the figures off hand but the Harry Potter stuff still skewed towards boys, more so than you'd think considering the wide appeal of the books/films.

But it's possible that this was because Lego as a whole was still viewed as boyish. Maybe the Harry Potter stuff would sell more equally now the Lego Friends has brought a lot more girls back into Lego.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    There was a decent enough documentary series by James May of Top Gear fame where he takes a look at boys and girls toys through the generations. He looks at the toys he played with as a child (lego, mechano, model kits) and toys his sister played with as a child (dolls, lite-brite, lightbulb ovens) and asked why it was like that. He also does an episode on trying to understand why and if "boys" toys don't appeal to girls and vice versa.

He did another series again later on where he tries to show kids today that traditional toys, lego, playdo and model kits in their most basic forms are all brilliant and they should put down their iphones and play legos.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    There was a decent enough documentary series by James May of Top Gear fame where he takes a look at boys and girls toys through the generations. He looks at the toys he played with as a child (lego, mechano, model kits) and toys his sister played with as a child (dolls, lite-brite, lightbulb ovens) and asked why it was like that. He also does an episode on trying to understand why and if "boys" toys don't appeal to girls and vice versa.

He did another series again later on where he tries to show kids today that traditional toys, lego, playdo and model kits in their most basic forms are all brilliant and they should put down their iphones and play legos.
    Isn't that also the one where he specifically went to an toy auction to buy old train sets, just to spite the collector's who do nothing with them, and then got his old friends around and started playing with them? I thought that was hilarious.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Yeah James May is really good when he is away from Top Gear isn't he?

And Richard Hammond is soooooooo not!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Isn't that also the one where he specifically went to an toy auction to buy old train sets, just to spite the collector's who do nothing with them, and then got his old friends around and started playing with them? I thought that was hilarious.
    This man is now one of my heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Yeah James May is really good when he is away from Top Gear isn't he?

And Richard Hammond is soooooooo not!
    Is Top Gear really that bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Herald View Post
    Is Top Gear really that bad?
    I think he's referring to what Richard Hammond is doing outside of Top Gear, relative to what James May is doing outside of Top Gear. James, Richard and Jeremy jabbering on about cars is good, but other things not involving those three specific people and cars are also good.

(I decided to check this thread again to see if it had gotten better. It did!)

Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    I think he's referring to what Richard Hammond is doing outside of Top Gear, relative to what James May is doing outside of Top Gear. James, Richard and Jeremy jabbering on about cars is good, but other things not involving those three specific people and cars are also good.

(I decided to check this thread again to see if it had gotten better. It did!)
    I'm not into cars. I saw one episode where they drove junker cars from Florida to New Orleans, and they spray painted things like "Wal-Mart Sucks!" and "Hillary for Pres" just to cheese off the locals, it worked. Seemed a bit silly to me.

Like I said, I'm not into cars so... >_>

I'm not into cars either, but I really like Top Gear. It's partly about traveling to exotic places (let's include the US in that for the sake of generosity), partly about doing stupid and hilarious shit, and sometimes about cars. That might explain why it's so popular.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I'm not into cars, I watch Top Gear for the presenters though and their interactions with each other.

3 middle aged white british men driving across the plains of africa in crappy cars, just to prove a point that you don't need to drive an SUV when you live in london? Brilliance!

And yes, I believe that was the same one where he bought the train just so it would be played with as intended and not left in a box to "increase in value".
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Indeed. Their specials are really worth it. Their Vietnam special was great also, as was their middle east one. If you want to see what is top gear is about, just watch the specials.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Top Gear isnt bad really though i havent seen it in awhile sincei think its getting a little stale and there running out of ideas plus looking at cars doing the same thing gets boring fast.

Anyway i just think James May is a little wasted on there hes mostly there to be the butt of the jokes which is fine but i like him in the documentries and feel hes likeble and intelligent and i get the feeling hes playing something else up when he is on Top Gear.

Also more on topic Top Gear seems to be one of those shows that screams guy show but a lot of women watch it.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...e-Protagonists

Pretty much sums up what has been said in this thread and articles linked here but it does a good job at that.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...e-Protagonists

Pretty much sums up what has been said in this thread and articles linked here but it does a good job at that.
    Jim Sterling scares me, not as much as Moviebob does but...eh. Still it's The Escapist, another wretched hive of scum and villainy. I often dream of the Themis building being consumed by a raging inferno, it puts a big smile on my face.

No, that's not me saying I'm going to actually burn down their headquarters. If I went around burning down every home that belonged to someone or something that pissed me off, I'd be sent up as a serial arsonist of legendary proportions.

I hate making disclaimers.