Page 54 of 202 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 4040
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    The 80s was a terrible decade. I don't know why people are so insistent on reliving it this generation.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    The 80s was a terrible decade. I don't know why people are so insistent on reliving it this generation.
    Because they only remember the good parts, funny clothes and ridiculous hairdo. They forget not being able to eat vegetables in 86, learning about M.A.D. in school, growing up in a neighbourhood where new houses have nuclear bomb shelters, people shooting their fellow citizen because they try to climb a wall towards the west etc.
    currently playing: Assetto Corsa
    Steam/GFWL/PSN: namefinder

Join our racing games subforum! Going wide and braking late since 1886!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Winged Nazgul View Post
    Seems reasonable enough.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Makariel View Post
    Because they only remember the good parts, funny clothes and ridiculous hairdo. They forget not being able to eat vegetables in 86, learning about M.A.D. in school, growing up in a neighbourhood where new houses have nuclear bomb shelters, people shooting their fellow citizen because they try to climb a wall towards the west etc.
    They remember this

but not this

Same as the 50s - that common bugaboo of the GOP platform - where they imagine the halcyon days as this

and not this

Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    People are always nostalgic for things 20-40 years ago. Since, naturally, it's when the current crop of young-to-middle-age adults were growing up and coming of age.

I mean, there was MAD 1890s nostalgia in the 1920s. And so on. Lot of people loved them the 1900s, too, a little later, but there there's the added bonus of it being the last hurrah of the old order before an apocalyptic war. There's probably earlier examples, if I could be bothered to look them up - I bet the early Victorians were just pining for the Regency days. And a lot of the more famous novels of the 1800s are set about 20-30 years before they were written.

And as Nalano says it's easier to forget the shit parts.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    The general trend in Victorian times was to lament and curse the regency. So i'm not sure how true that is.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    "Do not say, 'Why is it that the former days were better than these?' For it is not from wisdom that you ask about this."
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

ahhh the glory days. anyhow, women vs tropes right on our doorstep. its not a coincidence that apparently a slew of people took it upon themselves to out that RPS is shite just as Cara posted an interview. Her first even.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    I don't know if it's a coincidence or not but there seems to be a lot of articles written about women and gaming in the wake of the first Women vs. Tropes video. If it's not a coincidence, then it certainly puts the lie to the attitude that the series was useless/not needed. Here's another good one:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/28/415...eason-to-be-in

Gamasutra editor at large Leigh Alexander explained that sexists, who are often convinced they're not sexist, do not exist in a vacuum.

"Empathy is a surprisingly hard thing for people to learn," Alexander said.
    Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    ahhh the glory days. anyhow, women vs tropes right on our doorstep. its not a coincidence that apparently a slew of people took it upon themselves to out that RPS is shite just as Cara posted an interview. Her first even.
    It still miffs me when people say "but I just don't see it."

Because you know who does? Women. And the important question, just like what minorities go through on a daily basis, is when they have to ask themselves, "do I ignore the multitudinous slights - overt or covert, intentional and unintentional - so I can participate in the venue, do I risk looking like a killjoy by constantly correcting people, or do I just say 'fuck it' and leave?"
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Are we differentiating between tropes within the medium and attitudes within the scene / industry, or have we combined those?
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    Are we differentiating between tropes within the medium and attitudes within the scene / industry, or have we combined those?
    I think they feed off each other.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I thought we were still on about transgenders and how they're not represented enough in games. Really, is Poison enough?
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I haven't really kept up with what's going on in here, so responding to this latest stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Winged Nazgul View Post
    I don't know if it's a coincidence or not but there seems to be a lot of articles written about women and gaming in the wake of the first Women vs. Tropes video. If it's not a coincidence, then it certainly puts the lie to the attitude that the series was useless/not needed.
    I believe the main point was to foster discussion. That has been achieved. Whether or not that has resulted in positive out-comes, well...we'll see, but I think awareness is a good thing, even if there's a few people pissed off whatever way. I've certainly seen a lot more articles to do with this and that so it does seem like more women are coming out and saying "Hey, look, actually, I agree, this rubbish needs to stop." And that can only be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I think they feed off each other.
    Indeed. It's a culturally-wide issue, so it requires at least someone to make the first step and that for the next part in the chain to acknowledge this and carry that forward. Until that happens, things will remain the same way.