Page 95 of 169 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105145 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,900 of 3368
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    I always got the impression that the Spice Girls were more seen as a cynical exploitation of "girl power" than any expression thereof. Basically co-opting (and misrepresenting) the Pacific Northwest's riot grrrl movement but in a mainstream-accessible way?
    I'm not super familiar with them, so that's entirely possible. They're definitely more about marketing and appeal than message. How "cynical" and/or aware of that the three Spice Grils were as individuals is another matter.

I didn't know about Riot Grrrl at the time, and don't know much about the band now, either.
    Last edited by gwathdring; 02-08-2013 at 06:50 PM.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

I always got the impression that the Spice Girls were more seen as a cynical exploitation of "girl power" than any expression thereof. Basically co-opting (and misrepresenting) the Pacific Northwest's riot grrrl movement but in a mainstream-accessible way?
    Yes. I and most other people I talked to at the time, of both genders hated the Spice Girls for this reason, Well, that and making awful awful music. Granted, we were all too old to be in their target demographic.

There's a lot of criticism for the whole girl power thing along those lines. Turns out telling people they can be hot n' cool 'n sassy while still being empowered involves telling them both to be hot 'n cool n' sassy and how to be hot 'n cool n' sassy. Which is sometimes a problem.

Thank goodness for Powerpuff Girls.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iridescence View Post
    Yes. I and most other people I talked to at the time, of both genders hated the Spice Girls for this reason, Well, that and making awful awful music. Granted, we were all too old to be in their target demographic.
    I would've been in the age group of their target demographic, just the wrong gender. Girls of my age though, loved them and the girl power idea. While I look back at it now and I'm convinced that the Spice Girls and "girl power" was really just being used as a marketing tool, to the girls who followed them, it was the real deal.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    I would've been in the age group of their target demographic, just the wrong gender. Girls of my age though, loved them and the girl power idea. While I look back at it now and I'm convinced that the Spice Girls and "girl power" was really just being used as a marketing tool, to the girls who followed them, it was the real deal.
    My experience as well. I hated the music, but they weren't wooing me with anything but their tunes and I was always a little more resistant to pop music (for reasons both good and bad) than my friends and sisters. A lot of girls fell hard for the whole package. A lot of the hardcore feminist rock bands weren't exactly things you'd let your kids listen to, so the bright side of the girl power movement didn't stand much of a chance against the Spice Girls and Brats and the whole merchandising boom that followed the "Girls, be YOURSELVES and be PROUD* *just so long as you do so our way" thing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    I definitely didn't have two of their albums on cassette. Not me, no siree.

*Walks away nonchalantly whistling Stop and trying to avoid doing the actions*

All Saints were better though. Oh and I'm probably more embarrassed by having Hybrid Theory in my music collection than 90s girl bands!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    All Saints were better though.
    Nah, B*Witched all the way.
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of naÔvetť. It's naÔvetť turned inside-out. NaÔvetť wearing a sneer." -Momus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    That's a good point, JG, but how much of that is chicken and how much is egg? How much of that plot use is laziness and how much of it is because, even if it doesn't appeal to our social values, it does appeal to our aesthetic values? People talk about culture as if it is A Thing, but it is actually Many Things.
    Oh, gosh...I don't really know where to begin there! I suppose my response would be that it doesn't really matter? Feelings change with trends, so obviously something acceptable before isn't now, or perhaps is more codified and becomes a central pillar to what our culture now rests on. I don't know if that necessarily matters though. As you rightly point out, there's a barrier in portrayed violence that prevents us from imitating it or thinking it's okay. That's probably due in part to a lot of it being physically impossible, or at least highly unlikely. With issues of sexism and misogyny, as they're mostly non-physical (I think physical ones are a lot more obvious and usually play off that fact - Duke Nukem, I guess) the barrier is similarly less visible. Obviously we're not all sheep, but if we're talking about pervasive issues, something's gotta give at some point.

You're right though, culture is lots of things, made up of various people from various groups with plenty of overlap in any and all of these categories. The commonality is that they're all made up of people, so one person or idea can carry across the different groups.

To get back onto a track that is perhaps a bit more relevant, I wanna go back to that example of Gunman Clive (disclaimer: I have not played it) where the developer said that it's an easy message to get across quickly. Woman in danger, immediately eliminates who it isn't, our brains are wired to go "Aha!" and away we go. So yeah, it definitely appeals to our aesthetic appreciation, but only because we're used to it. That said, again I don't think it really matters because you're still giving off the same meaning.

The central problem here is games writing is, mostly, abysmal. This isn't new to most of us here discussing this. We just need a bit more creativity and a few more minutes of thinking. Maybe ask around? I'd be curious to know, say, how many indie devs ask around friends and family for ideas when it comes to writing. With a lot of the creative writing I do, I'm quite keen to share it with others and then I'll use their feedback along the way, if I so choose. I sometimes get the idea that indie game development is quite insulated.

That obviously doesn't excuse AAA development, but Naughty Dog, DICE, and a few other developers certainly seem to spend more than 20 seconds on what characters will be involved.

I feel like I've just written a lot, but not actually answered your question. Hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    *Walks away nonchalantly whistling Stop and trying to avoid doing the actions*
    ...god damn you.