Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    I've played entirely self-found (I don't even know how to use the AH... I've clicked the button once on accident and that's it) and am geared up to do somewhere between MP4 and MP6 on each character. I'm more or less in the same boat as you in terms of upgrades, but I just find fun in using underused/suboptimal skills to kill stuff.

I've yet to do any ubers -- the drop rate concept is really annoying (make them drop fragments, instead of making it a percentage chance, ugh), and seeing as I play entire by myself, the game isn't doing me any favors in that regard. I could probably do them at MP3 handily, but eh, that whole thing just doesn't seem that fun. I do have about 25 Infernal Machines laying around, though. That and Hellfire Rings are pretty underwhelming ever since they nerfed the proc on the PTR.
    Well the big thing about the hellfire ring is the XP boost for getting valor levels. It's not hard to get the ring though, the chance of a fragment dropping is based on MP level. So at MP5 it's a 50% chance and at MP10 it's a 100% chance. There are plenty of PUGs for that stuff too. If you provide the machines there are people who will come in and do MP10 carry for you too (but that's no fun IMO).
    Last edited by Hypernetic; 05-07-2013 at 03:22 AM.

Activated Node
    Oh, I know all that. I just am not going to find enjoyment playing with others. It's more that, with my self-found gear I'm not going to be able to do it on anything higher than MP3 (maybe MP4, might be pushing it), and doing a tedious boss battle for a 30% chance to get one fragment isn't really something I want to do in my spare time.

Then again, I also don't really find pushing the Paragon level bar to the right that exhilarating either, so that might be why I'm not too keen on the whole Infernal Machine event.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    Diablo is not an action game. It's not an RPG game. It's a collectible slot machine game with action and RPG elements. People play it for the same reason they collect stamps. Like in an MMO, it's not the process that's fun, it's the goal (that's supposed to be). There's a carrot dangling in front of your head. Diablo is not played, it's worked on.
    What is the point of collecting gear if you're never going to use it? Sure, there are few people with that perversion, but for most the gear is the means to an end, whatever it might be.
    And just like MMO, the road is the destination. Because both in Diablo(I guess I should say "Diablo 2 or 3" because the first game stads solidly on its own to this day) and in any MMO once you get "everything" - that is, complete and kit out your build - there's little, or nothing, left to do. And no amount of battlegrounds or arenas is going to ever change that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just can't get passed the F2P shit.
    Which shit?
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Damn, when I was kid D2 was probably my fauvorite game (and if you had some high level character with good items you had respect in neighbourhood) but now hack'n'slash RPGs are boring me a hell.

Quote Originally Posted by bonkers View Post
    Which shit?
    Any of it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I got into it the past month along with other friends. I had stopped at at mid 50s. Paragon Levels, Infernal Machines, Monster Power give some more longevity to the game. Always trying different skillsets to see what works or what I can make work. Infernal Machine bosses at the right level are fun. We have only seen 2 of the 3 so far out of 4 machines. Currently doing MP5. I have not bought any upgrade more than 1 million gold and amongst our group of found some good drops. The problem we had coming back and doing end game is having a clear understanding what drops/stats are good. The Life, Damage, Protection are a good basic guide, but you do not think of protection as important of a stat, but its needed for the higher MP. And like D2 you need some good lifesteal to be able to take monster hits in the higher levels.

I think with 3 other classes I have not touched plus wanting to do Hardcore at some point to Inferno Diablo I will play for a bit on and off. Hope the item patch is sooner than later.

Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    I got into it the past month along with other friends. I had stopped at at mid 50s. Paragon Levels, Infernal Machines, Monster Power give some more longevity to the game. Always trying different skillsets to see what works or what I can make work. Infernal Machine bosses at the right level are fun. We have only seen 2 of the 3 so far out of 4 machines. Currently doing MP5. I have not bought any upgrade more than 1 million gold and amongst our group of found some good drops. The problem we had coming back and doing end game is having a clear understanding what drops/stats are good. The Life, Damage, Protection are a good basic guide, but you do not think of protection as important of a stat, but its needed for the higher MP. And like D2 you need some good lifesteal to be able to take monster hits in the higher levels.

I think with 3 other classes I have not touched plus wanting to do Hardcore at some point to Inferno Diablo I will play for a bit on and off. Hope the item patch is sooner than later.
    Stats in D3 are pretty dumbed down as it is. Resist all on everything plus AS/crit/crit damage on everything you cna get it on. Some classes have higher weights (like a CM wizard favors crit chance to a point more than a WW barb who would rather have crit damage to a point).

That was one of the things that disappointed me most about D3, there is very little room for theory crafting. It's just at the point where BIS is either a specific legendary or a crafted item with a good roll (i.e. crit dmg/chance and AS gloves with 300 STR crafted). In slots where you can't get that there usually isn't much choice anyway, like helmets either have nothing or there are two legendaries with crit chance (one can also have AS too), so your choices for end game gear are very limiting. Every skill being based almost entirely on weapon damage doesn't help either.

To that end, I'm hoping the new itemization update adds some more spice to the theory crafting side of the game.

Network Hub
    Stats in D3 are pretty dumbed down as it is. Resist all on everything plus AS/crit/crit damage on everything you cna get it on. Some classes have higher weights (like a CM wizard favors crit chance to a point more than a WW barb who would rather have crit damage to a point).

That was one of the things that disappointed me most about D3, there is very little room for theory crafting. It's just at the point where BIS is either a specific legendary or a crafted item with a good roll (i.e. crit dmg/chance and AS gloves with 300 STR crafted). In slots where you can't get that there usually isn't much choice anyway, like helmets either have nothing or there are two legendaries with crit chance (one can also have AS too), so your choices for end game gear are very limiting. Every skill being based almost entirely on weapon damage doesn't help either.

To that end, I'm hoping the new itemization update adds some more spice to the theory crafting side of the game.
    I seriously doubt it, Blizzard just to afraid to nerf things or to make drastic changes to the core mechanics (they didn't even want to fix broken Nat sets.

If they don't fix core issues like AS/CC/CD, no itemization patch will help. It's simply a broken mechanics which has caused the game to scale horribly. For Ex. Mp5 gives close to 500% extra HP to monsters, MP10 gives 1000%?
    No, MP10 gives 3400% extra HP, that's all because of trifecta.

It causes most skills and items to be nullified if you want to do higher MP, making the game just more shallow the further you increase the MP.

After waiting a year+ for PVP and seeing it's implementation, I've lost all faith in Blizzard. From the glorious PVP arena vids/lies of the past they showed off, to the crap we have now...

Quote Originally Posted by hideinlight View Post
    I seriously doubt it, Blizzard just to afraid to nerf things or to make drastic changes to the core mechanics (they didn't even want to fix broken Nat sets.

If they don't fix core issues like AS/CC/CD, no itemization patch will help. It's simply a broken mechanics which has caused the game to scale horribly. For Ex. Mp5 gives close to 500% extra HP to monsters, MP10 gives 1000%?
    No, MP10 gives 3400% extra HP, that's all because of trifecta.

It causes most skills and items to be nullified if you want to do higher MP, making the game just more shallow the further you increase the MP.

After waiting a year+ for PVP and seeing it's implementation, I've lost all faith in Blizzard. From the glorious PVP arena vids/lies of the past they showed off, to the crap we have now...
    You're probably right, but I'll hang on to some hope, it's not like I have anything to lose. As for the PVP, yeah I don't know. I played the PVP at Blizzcon in 2010 and it was pretty great, I don't know what happened to it. It was an arena kind of thing with health pickups and stuff.

D3 is one of the only instances of buyer's remorse I can remember from the last couple of years. That's thanks to RPS, GiantBomb, youtube, not pre-ordering, all the fantastic sites that provide resources for figuring out whether a game is worth your time and money before purchasing.

I pre-ordered D3 because of great times with D2 and lending the benefit of the doubt to Blizz, and wow, what a mistake. It's a game that embodies corporate soul-sucking. It feels mechanical and drained of the life and character that the previous game had. The business behind it and the auction house seem disrespectful of the consumer.

Obscure Node
    Any of it.
    Well, really, which? Seeing how PoE has absolutley *none* of the problems one usually associates with F2P, I am completely at a loss what you would have to "get past" in Path of Exile.

Anyway, I liked Diablo 3 a lot, but I was done with it after 100-150 hours. Path of Exile has held my attention much longer already. Diablo 3 is the most fun to play (more so than PoE or TL2), but I find PoE's loot, freedom in character development, leagues etc. more suited for longevity.
    Last edited by UncleLou; 05-07-2013 at 07:28 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    And I wonder if they will ever release their MOBA Starcraft map...thats been canned once or twice. Never got to play it at BlizzCon but looked interesting enough. Made me think of the D3 PvP. Seeing how competitive people can get with WoW Arenas, it sounds like it would be a huge hit. They should just give people basic matchmaking for the current system until they fully flesh it out.

With a new Director and the early talks they have given, there is some hope with itemization. Have to wait and see. Expect an expansion announcement at or near BlizzCon time also.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    All I need is an infinite dungeon and travel between acts.
    What drawbacks could they have? How difficult to implement would they be?
    They should also allow me to turn off all the story and dialogue bullshit.

It feels like Diablo 3 is designed to keep you playing in one session for as long as possible, which is ridiculous because Blizzard doesn't benefit at all. It was worse in the past when it had those retarded rage timers, death timers, ridiculous cooldowns, identification times... The slow movement speed and bad checkpoints still hurt. Couple that with the lack of travel between acts and you're forced to go slowly through very similar areas and then waste time getting your NV back when you feel like doing something else.

I like the combat and it's a good time waster - I also earned 30 Euros on a ring - but sometimes I really get angry.

Blizzard overdesigns everything. Other companies fart content and design patches every two weeks and they're not perfect but who gives a fuck? It's better than waiting for months for a small polished update.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    All I need is an infinite dungeon and travel between acts.
    What drawbacks could they have? How difficult to implement would they be?
    They should also allow me to turn off all the story and dialogue bullshit.

It feels like Diablo 3 is designed to keep you playing in one session for as long as possible, which is ridiculous because Blizzard doesn't benefit at all. It was worse in the past when it had those retarded rage timers, death timers, ridiculous cooldowns, identification times... The slow movement speed and bad checkpoints still hurt. Couple that with the lack of travel between acts and you're forced to go slowly through very similar areas and then waste time getting your NV back when you feel like doing something else.

I like the combat and it's a good time waster - I also earned 30 Euros on a ring - but sometimes I really get angry.

Blizzard overdesigns everything. Other companies fart content and design patches every two weeks and they're not perfect but who gives a fuck? It's better than waiting for months for a small polished update.
    Polished update, lol...
    Last time I recount there was a massive gold dupe they let through. So much for polish.
    Oh and last legendary update patch, items that shoots Frost Orb's, the most significant skill in D2, awesome!
    Not...They didn't even bother adding a decent effect, same with Stormcrow and just about everything else.

Nah screw D3, time to go indie.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleLou View Post
    Well, really, which? Seeing how PoE has absolutley *none* of the problems one usually associates with F2P, I am completely at a loss what you would have to "get past" in Path of Exile.

Anyway, I liked Diablo 3 a lot, but I was done with it after 100-150 hours. Path of Exile has held my attention much longer already. Diablo 3 is the most fun to play (more so than PoE or TL2), but I find PoE's loot, freedom in character development, leagues etc. more suited for longevity.
    Are you serious? Cash for character slots, cash for stash space, a "points" system like microsoft points that requires you to spend more than anything costs to buy anything and then leaves you with an odd amount of points "encouraging" you to spend more.

In the meanwhile, I'm still playing vanilla and modded Torchlight 2. Me wubs TL2.

Quote Originally Posted by Battle Programmer Spike View Post
    In the meanwhile, I'm still playing vanilla and modded Torchlight 2. Me wubs TL2.
    I don't know what it was about TL2 that didn't hold my attention, I think it might have been that I didn't like any of the classes.

Obscure Node
    Are you serious? Cash for character slots, cash for stash space, a "points" system like microsoft points that requires you to spend more than anything costs to buy anything and then leaves you with an odd amount of points "encouraging" you to spend more.
    Am I serious? I have to ask you the same thing. You get 24 character slots for free. 24. Are you seriously telling me you exhausted that? That's more than you get in many full price games without the option to upgrade.

And you get four huge stash tabs.

And these are the only two things at all that you would ever need to even consider buying if you played the game *a lot*. The rest is entirely cosmetic.

Really, that's an extra-odinarily petty and dogmatic point of view you have there.

I don't have any problem with anyone not liking the game for whatever reason, but to claim it has the "typical F2P" problems is downright misleading.
    Last edited by UncleLou; 06-07-2013 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleLou View Post
    Am I serious? I have to ask you the same thing. You get 24 character slots for free. 24. Are you seriously telling me you exhausted that? That's more than you get in many full price games without the option to upgrade.

And you get four huge stash tabs.

And these are the only two things at all that you would ever need to even consider buying if you played the game *a lot*. The rest is entirely cosmetic.

Really, that's an extra-odinarily petty and dogmatic point of view you have there.

I don't have any problem with anyone not liking the game for whatever reason, but to claim it has the "typical F2P" problems is downright misleading.
    PoE devs please.

I don't like that kind of shit regardless of how lenient it is.