Activated Node

Recommend me a router please

Good morning, esteemed members of RPS.

I'm after a new router as the Virgin Media SuperHub is appalling. I've been repeatedly locked out of the control panel, WIFI performance is absymal and I discovered yesterday that I can't block indivual IP address using the built in firewall (I was trying to block VirginMedia's Youtube caching servers to get rid of buffering on a 100mb line, see http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...g/td-p/1746698 if you're interested)

So, I'm after:

• Good WIFI strength
    • ideally 8 LAN ports
    • a good interface that'll let me dick around with settings
    • reliability
    • not horrendously expensive

Cheers!

Anything you can put DDWRT on is pretty reliable, but don't take this to mean that all the stuff not running that is unreliable.

If you want 8 ports, you'd probably be better off buying a router and a switch and connecting the two. Most consumer-grade stuff only has 4 ports, and Gigabit switches are quite cheap.

Do you want Gigabit Ethernet?

If you're a bit of a tinkerer, pfSense is a really great firewall OS. It's based on FreeBSD which has OpenBSD's awesome pf firewall. The unix geek in me loves that, but it's not really a good option if you just want something you plug in and works.

If you want to block that IP address you can also try to do that via the hosts file (google it, it's pretty easy to do), but that's on a per-computer basis.

Activated Node
    Hmmm, this DDWRT looks interesting and also pretty well documented which is nice! I'll definitely have to look into it further. Given that it supports iptables I reckon pfsense would be overkill for my needs at the moment. Although its always fun to play around.

Yeah, I'm pretty set on gigabit Ethernet, my existing NAS doesn't push file transfer speeds much cause its rubbish, but I'm going to be upgrading to a FreeNAS or Unraid setup soon that should be a lot faster.

I figured 4 ports would be the normal limit and I don't really have a problem with buying and additional switch. I might even be able to blag one from work!

I've already got a rule in Windows Firewall to block the IPs but I really need it at the router level so that it also effects the various phones & tablets given that's what YouTube gets watched on most of the time.

Cheers Boris!