The smart ideas and clever suggestions thread

Having just been handed the keys to the city/guild vault by Timofee, I feel that I should make some kind of announcement and present everyone with a vision of things to come. But since I am still getting used to the whole thing, the vision is still taking its sweet time to take shape. Until it has reached a tangible form, I'll make use of my time and create this thread - a place for everyone to post suggestions, topics, or ideas concerning the guild s/he would like to see discussed, be it right now or in the future.

I know that there is no urgent need to change anything just for the sake of it, but since we are a guild with a pretty flat hierarchy (and I am new to the whole guild leader thing), I would like to ask all guild members to be outspoken and speak their mind.

There is always room for improvement, after all.

We have a guild leader? And here I thought [RPS] was like group work in school - kinda organized, only theoretically cooperative, mostly just random. We`re actually serious here! Bit OOC, is all.

Quote Originally Posted by EPICTHEFAIL View Post
    We have a guild leader? And here I thought [RPS] was like group work in school - kinda organized, only theoretically cooperative, mostly just random. We`re actually serious here! Bit OOC, is all.
    I try the follow a rough guideline of not being in charge of anything/anyone but at the same time being responsible for everything. RPS doesn't need a real leader but a person who can be contacted if there is something that needs to be organized or taken care of. That's me then.

Hurray! Use of this thread now that we have moderators! Here are my suggestions.

For the forum:

- A single sticky for guild events (one-offs and missions) where the first post is updated regularly (and reflected so in the title of the thread). The thread would be unlocked however, so people can discuss the events actually in the thread. All times would be in normal GMT (so people can work it out for themselves) and give basic information - like meeting location, what we'd be doing and who is taking ownership over running it.

- A single sticky for general information about the guild maybe? It can also include links to useful things like the server community forum and also sites for keeping track of events.

In-Game/Guild Suggestions:

- We change the karma buff as per the voting outcome on this thread now?

- We start pinging messages to inactive guild members to see if they're still playing. If not, we could do with making room for newcomers who are actually active and want to join the guild.
    Guild Wars 2:

Main character name is Seigous Bearheart. I also play on Duke Witherheart. And Lindenheart.

My GW2 blog that you can follow on Twitter.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jha4ceb's Avatar
    In addition to the above (which all sound like good ideas), I'd reiterate my idea of a twitter account as mentioned in the general nonsense thread. It would be primarily for announcements of guild happenings, and -- being twitter -- could be used to notify people about things at relatively short notice. Given the okay from Our Beloved Overlord, I'm happy to set this up and see if it takes off.
    GW2: Saphnabylni & co.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus hawksbane's Avatar
    Quick question regarding the events sticky; will this mean that only the moderators will be able to update the first post? as that would mean only you and Squirrel at the moment.

Regarding the twitter account, does anyone know of a calendar that can automatically post to Twitter? can you do this from the Steam account for instanace since it would make it easier to keep multiple different accounts up to date. Personally I'm not on Steam and rarely read twitter so wouldn't use this function (I tend to find out from the forum/ in game) but if something could export to my calendar that would be awesome.

In-game

I've queued up the Magic Find buff last night, it takes 36hrs to run though, so might need speeding up to get it ready for this evening.

Agree with trimming the guild, but I think the Paw's & Squirrel need to come up with standard message to send and split the messaging responsibility; we're probably going to need to send about 300 messages.
    I'll draft something.
    Last edited by hawksbane; 05-06-2013 at 10:36 AM.
    Hawksbane | Ripley Hawkswind | Aconitum Hawkshood | Fuchsia Panthera

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MonkeyMonster's Avatar
    Destroying Rabbits wherever they can be found
    Do we have many genuine newbies (like me tbh) that need assistance in some general information which is nominally passed on via chat or mumble but we could instead get listed... I know it may replicate other data out there in the google world but are we creating our own nexus of information due to our nature or perhaps at minimum collate the genuinely useful urls and sites that will really help a beginner. Of course there may well have been obvious things that I missed because i never went on the tutorial etc but I would put money on not being the only one to do so.

For instance:
    Sending items to the bank automatically... (yeah you guys laughed when I found that one out)
    Bags and boxes to hold items and probably upgrades
    Best things to to spend <things> on depending on choice of character and level - like not spending laurels till you are level 80 as a good idea unless you have a pressing issue
    Using pvp mist portal to freely jump to other primary areas via lions arch but also the odd locations of some sub portals
    Little reminders to look at your daily's and collate underwater kills with specific locations or good locations to get lots of rabbits/mossies near the same place

There will be more... and I may have missed what is already done which if so might suggest its not signposted well enough

Hawks: Yeah I think it would only be moderators who would be able to actually update the post, but if people were to PM us or even post in the same thread with the details of their own event then we can update the post with it in.

Monkey: I definitely agree that we could do with some sort of post like that and also put in things like where to get Level 80 Aqua Breathers.
    Guild Wars 2:

Main character name is Seigous Bearheart. I also play on Duke Witherheart. And Lindenheart.

My GW2 blog that you can follow on Twitter.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MonkeyMonster's Avatar
    Destroying Rabbits wherever they can be found
    Quote Originally Posted by Krathor View Post
    where to get Level 80 Aqua Breathers.
    EXACTLY! (deliberate caps btw

Hey folks, I was away from the computer for a couple of days, so I need to do some catching-up.

Very good ideas all around I think, some had already been mentioned in game or on mumble, but I think it's important to have them all listed here again. My thoughts on these topics:

Sticky threads: I agree that we should have only a few permanent stickies, we don't want to have them clogging up the top of the forum pages. Like Krathor has mentioned, one thread should contain general information concerning the guild and act as a guideline for new players and/or people interested in joining the guild.

One thread could then contain all the useful information about the game itself, like general hints and tips (like Monkey suggested), links to event timer pages, maybe also the odd link to a thread on the forums themselves, like for example Saph's Trading Post 101 thread. I think Lippsy has set up such a page on the community forum, from which I think I'll steal deliberately.

A guild event thread would also be a great addition, especially in combination with the Steam group (which I'll update for this purpose) as well as the Twitter feed Saph suggested. Although personally I don't really use Twitter (yet), this would be very handy for the hip people in the guild to ironically check out what's planned for any given evening (did you know that I was into guild events before they became popular?).

Concerning Hawkbane's comment about editability (?) of the threads: That's a bit unfortunate, especially since Hawksbane has become a regular event leader. However, we should have good enough communication between each other to compensate for that. Event managers could also post in the thread, which makes updating the first post easy.

I'll comment some more tonight and probably will manage to talk to the lot of you in-game. I would like to free up the guild roster as soon as possible. After the recent "Come play with RPS" post on the frontpage we might need some more member slots. Thanks to Saph for snatching the first comment in that thread btw and thanks to Hawk for offering to draft a message!

RE the roster, I sent you a PM in-game listing about ten people still in the guild who are on US servers (= can't even guest to GH). Should be no-brainers for a kick.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    Although personally I don't really use Twitter (yet), this would be very handy for the hip people in the guild to ironically check out what's planned for any given evening (did you know that I was into guild events before they became popular?).
    Haha I'll sort this out later and we can see how it goes.

Thanks Saph, I had made a list myself, but had so far hesitated to kick people without first talking to them. Unfortunately, I didn't encounter any of them online lately (perhaps due to the time differences). If possible, I'll send those people a forum PM.

I'd suggest sending them an in-game mail such as:

"Hello brave adventurer and follower of Horace,

We've noticed you are not playing on Gunnar's Hold anymore and, as we've reached our maximum member limit in the guild and we have new members lining up to join, we've decided to remove a few players from the guild that do not play with us anymore. You've made the list due to the fact that you are playing on the US servers, so if you ever return to EU and Gunnar's Hold please contact us through the RPS forum or in-game for an invite back into the guild.

If we've made a mistake, please contact us ASAP.

Cheers,
    XXXX"

Then kick them after 3-4 days if nothing comes back. Which I don't expect anyway.
    [GW2] The Blackfyre clan: Aliss (Guardian) Alyss (Mesmer) Lyss (Engineer) and others.

That sounds good.

Here's a solution for editing the "current events" thread. If Hawksbane starts the thread, and a mod stickies it, then both Hawks *and* mods will be able to edit the first post (presumably?). This at least broadens the range of people who can edit it.

You're clever one. Hawksbane, make it happen!