Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46
  1. #1
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    105

    Does GTA5 take place on an island?

    Last edited by Sic; 17-10-2013 at 05:47 PM.

  2. #2
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Sic View Post
    What do you think?
    That humanity has finally found its zenith of pointlessness.

  3. #3
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    105
    You find thinking about games pointless?

  4. #4
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,332
    So basically, you got into an argument on another site over a game that isn't available for the PC... So you came here to continue the argument.

    I think I am gonna go watch more Panda Cam
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  5. #5
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,276
    Honestly one of the dumbest things to even talk about. Does it make a difference? They could have made a bridge with an invisible wall and people would still complain.

    I could see Morrowwind in Skyrim, but I could not go there. /pitchfork

  6. #6
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    So basically, you got into an argument on another site over a game that isn't available for the PC... So you came here to continue the argument.

    I think I am gonna go watch more Panda Cam
    Not so much the argument, I just want to know what people think.
    Last edited by Sic; 17-10-2013 at 05:49 PM.

  7. #7
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    3,174
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    So basically, you got into an argument on another site over a game that isn't available for the PC... So you came here to continue the argument.

    I think I am gonna go watch more Panda Cam
    Tell me more of this Panda Cam.
    Does it feature pandas by chance?

  8. #8
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    Honestly one of the dumbest things to even talk about. Does it make a difference? They could have made a bridge with an invisible wall and people would still complain.

    I could see Morrowwind in Skyrim, but I could not go there. /pitchfork
    It's not about people complaining, it's about whether or not someone can "edit" your experience of a game world by saying things exist or don't exist.

  9. #9
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    Tell me more of this Panda Cam.
    Does it feature pandas by chance?
    Aren't you one of the cool kids, acting all indifferent.

  10. #10
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Stockton-on-Tees, UK
    Posts
    2,406
    just_wrong is right.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

  11. #11
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,332
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    Tell me more of this Panda Cam.
    Does it feature pandas by chance?
    Cute and cuddly ones http://nationalzoo.si.edu/animals/we...fm?cam=panda03
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  12. #12
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Sic View Post
    You find thinking about games pointless?
    No, this question particularly. The game is on an island. Whether or not that island is a convenient misrepresentation of the broader "game universe" is irrelevant.

  13. #13
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,332
    Quote Originally Posted by Sic View Post
    It's not about people complaining, it's about whether or not someone can "edit" your experience of a game world by saying things exist or don't exist.
    Then make a thread about how a parallel universe "edits" your experience. Don't just bring forum drama over here and then get pissed off when we find it annoying and childish.

    Also: THOSE PANDAS IS TOTALLY HAVING HUGGSY WUGGSIES!!!!
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  14. #14
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellmoob View Post
    No, this question particularly. The game is on an island. Whether or not that island is a convenient misrepresentation of the broader "game universe" is irrelevant.
    How so?

    Isn't the stance of Rockstar strange?

  15. #15
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Then make a thread about how a parallel universe "edits" your experience. Don't just bring forum drama over here and then get pissed off when we find it annoying and childish.

    Also: THOSE PANDAS IS TOTALLY HAVING HUGGSY WUGGSIES!!!!
    OK, let's pretend that this thread isn't about what you, exclusively, interpret it to be, then. Happy?

  16. #16
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Sic View Post
    How so?

    Isn't the stance of Rockstar strange?
    Not really; they're pointing out that there can be points of reference for the benefit of players that don't exist in the same way for "in-universe" characters. It's either 'metafictional' or just a limit of development, depending on how much credit you want to give them.

    But, yeah, it's an island.

  17. #17
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    3,174
    Quote Originally Posted by Sic View Post
    Aren't you one of the cool kids, acting all indifferent.
    Obviously. I wear sunglasses at night. That's because my vision is augmented.

  18. #18
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    Obviously. I wear sunglasses at night. That's because my vision is augmented.
    That is, objectively, pretty cool.

  19. #19
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sic View Post
    The universe of the game is not a isle. the city is on the coast, but not a isle. GTA city is in a isle is not canon.
    The actual geography of the game is circular, surrounded by water. But this is a gameplay artifact. Is not canon.

    The canon of the game describe what the characters of the world are supposed to be like. And the gameplay artifact is merelly a tecnical limitation on storytelling.


    Heres a squared map, that is a section of the continent.

    The west and east border are connected. If you exit from the west, you appears on the east, and the same Y coordinate, but different X coordinate.

    The north are connected different, if you exists from the north in a point, you re-enters on the map in a mirrared place, using the center of the map as axis.

    This map has the properties of a isle, but is actually a section of the continental coast, one with a city in it (on the center, marked B).

    Last edited by Tei; 17-10-2013 at 06:46 PM.

  20. #20
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,631
    They should have made a big-ass desert like in Far Cry 2. When you go too far you dehydrate, pass out and wake up back in Los Santos. This would keep the geography consistent with San Andreas.
    Rockstar's "alternate universe" excuse is shit. People liked Liberty City and San Andreas last gen and want to go back to HD versions of those familiar environments, not jump in a Sliders episode.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •