Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar

Games That SCARED You ??

But it doesn't need to be a HORROR game,just so you know.

Obvious choice for me would be Penumbra games,and of course Amnesia. For games which don't belong in horror genre,STALKER series.

Other then that RE4,that beginning was one of the best beginnings in games. For those who played the game,crazy village people,chainsaw guy etc..

... I take the lives of a few to protect the lives of many. I commit acts of war to preserve the greater peace. I take no joy in killing, but make no mistake; I'll do what needs to be done. Because it's my job. It's my duty. My name is Sam Fisher, and I am a Splinter Cell.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    System Shock 2 for the spooky atmosphere. That game genuinely made me dread opening doors. Resident Evil 2 for jump scares.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Network Hub
    I never quite understand these threads. I mean I have been shocked by a few games before. FEAR got me a few times (the ability to miss creepy moments in that game led to some interesting ones. The first time I accidentally saw Alma in a mirror after probably missing that moment a couple times before, was shocking.)

Those glowing eyes creatures in FEAR: Extraction Point, for whatever reason, made me shiver uncontrollably when I saw them. Was not scared at all, but had this involuntary reaction to them. Invisible ninjas never had that effect.

First bloodsucker in STALKER. Made me jump quite a bit.

As for actually being scared, I don't think that has ever happened to me in a game. Not because I am macho or brave or anything, but because there is nothing that can happen to me...just an avatar in the game. The scariest moments for me are when I am concentrating on a game where you don't know where the enemy is and something happens for real in the room I am in (say someone opening a door suddenly behind me). That is just a combination of heightened awareness plus some unexpected stimulus though.

So shocked yes. Grossed out yes. Scared? Not really. I am not good enough at immersing myself in games to be scared.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The first Thief game was quite creepy. I found Bioshock rather more creepy than I probably ought to have. Oblivion with a mod that added giant spiders; they were objectively more comical than the Skyrim ones but they freaked me out a lot more. Minecraft when I was mining and hearing monster noises and also knew that there was lava nearby.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Network Hub
    Actually here is a fun question to add to the OP if he will allow. Have you ever been so scared by a game that you had a nightmare about it later?

That has happened to me with movies, but never a game (and I have had game dreams just not nightmares, like one about Organ Trail where I got pissed at my "teammates" for failing to defend the flanks as we were pushed back over and over again FPS horde mode style by these green pixel zombies).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    RE4, once it went more actiony, never had the same dreading scare as RE1 & 2. RE4 was more Dale & Tucker. 1&2 had some good jump scares but since the game was more survival horror than survival shooter, once you heard that zombie moan without seeing where it was coming from...

Agree on movies having more impact.

Now non Horror...seeing TRAIN in Everquest and not know where it was coming from...the horror.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Project Zero - back on the old PS2 - was a masterpiece in that it was not only genuinely creepy, but it never(*) resorted to the 'BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" school of scary - I loved it

Amnesia is the polar opposite and I just got tired of scary things happening - it was a case of 'what' rather than 'when' - it was relentless in it's attempts to scare me and whilst it worked, I just lost interest in progressing...

(*) it did once but no-one is perfect

Quote Originally Posted by Misnomer View Post
    I never quite understand these threads.

Well to be honest,was hoping i could find something new to play in games you would list. Otherwise i'm also in the mood for some horror game discussion hehe.

Misnomer@ No not really,but it happened with movies :/ Last time it happened it was after i saw "Sinister" movie,i have wild imagination so yeah.
    ... I take the lives of a few to protect the lives of many. I commit acts of war to preserve the greater peace. I take no joy in killing, but make no mistake; I'll do what needs to be done. Because it's my job. It's my duty. My name is Sam Fisher, and I am a Splinter Cell.

Has anyone ever considered that the reason jump scares are used in these games is because they work? In the same way turning round to find a tiger about to pounce gives you a massive adrenalin boost.

I get that there is more to creating an atmosphere than jump scares alone but they are not bad in them selves. This place is just full of god dam hipsters

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Yeah Resident Evil 2 used to scare me sometimes I don't know why but I would play it i na poorly lit room and the police station definitly had atmosphere. Silent Hill is a lot better and scarier though.

Bioshock scared me as well a bit more then I thought.

But saying that its true that I'm not as scared with games as I am with movies with movies i cannot sleep after watching the film and its laughable really looking back at it how scared i am not turning the light bulb off after watching a movie...never done that after playing a game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Has anyone ever considered that the reason jump scares are used in these games is because they work? In the same way turning round to find a tiger about to pounce gives you a massive adrenalin boost.

I get that there is more to creating an atmosphere than jump scares alone but they are not bad in them selves. This place is just full of god dam hipsters

I think the jump scare in it self is not scary to be honest, the fear is the waiting for the jump scare to happen sometimes but jump scares are quite cheap. Anything an jumpp scare you even a woman just grabbing you by the shoulder without you expectign it makes you jump, but this isn't really inheriently scary. I think Spoony sad it best in his review on sinister i think.

I want to add Quake 4. Getting your legs (or any limb) removed while being conscious is one of the most horrible things for me. Usually when something dangerous appears in this kind of games, you let the guns talk. Not so in this scene. You can only watch and hear yourself scream.
    I think that was the point in my life where I really started to think about violence in video games and if I should play something like that. Well, here I am.

Bioshock is also a good candidate. A certain Dr. Steinman comes to mind: 'Wouldn't it be wonderful if I could do with a knife what that old Spaniard did with a brush?'.

Even X3 managed to scare me once. There are some pitch-black unknown sectors. You jump in there, expecting something new to discover and arriving in a complete void. It's the same feeling I get when swimming in the middle of a big lake.

Guess I'm pretty easy to scare ;)

Activated Node
    Morrowind's good for a pervading sense of unease and terror; even today now that the Morrowind Graphics & Sound overhaul is in good shape and looks beautiful. You've got your Daedric ruins, Ash Crypts, Blight Storms, and all of the Ashlands inside of the Ghost Fence to make you feel horribly out of place and even full of dread at times.

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Project Zero - back on the old PS2
    I was about to say Fatal Frame and Fatal Frame 2 but then I found out Project Zero IS Fatal Frame!

Also Dark Souls. The relentless atmosphere creeped me out when I was just watching ENB/Northern Lion/Vageta311, playing it was a step above. <spoiler> Fucking Depths... </spoiler>

Depends what you mean by being scared. Horror is only semi-effective for me as I know what is in store when I play them. Stalker worked as, when I first played it, I had not read anything about the creepy bits, so X18 (I think?) worked really well.
    The game I feel the most fear when playing is possibly Red Orchestra or other instadeath military games. I'll spend about 3 mins scanning a bunch of (apparently) empty windows on a far building, plotting my moves and hoping that there are no snipers there. Then I spend a few minutes crawling along to avoid the gaze of the windows to suddenly hear the telltale squeaking noise and then a tank rolls into view. Pants are in need of changing.

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    Amnesia is the only game in the history of games that has ever scared me.

I am playing Dead Space now and guess what scares me,not the enemies and jump scares,but that upgrade machine when it close down after using it haha,it always get me xD

Network Hub
    Alan Wake's first couple of maps were pretty good (The original story, not American Nightmare). At that point, you're still stumbling around in disbelief, through a thick forest at night, with only the occassional glimpse of civilization. Also helps that you don't have enough ammo to take out every whatevertheywerecalled. Or at least, I didn't, so I had to actually run away, looking behind me, just to have the next grimzombieghost materialise in front of me.

Shame the game couldn't keep that atmosphere going. The expansion was fun, but definately not scary.

Also, Metro 2033 - fucking Librarians fuck fuck fuck fuck

Granny's Garden

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    I think the jump scare in it self is not scary to be honest, the fear is the waiting for the jump scare to happen sometimes but jump scares are quite cheap. Anything an jumpp scare you even a woman just grabbing you by the shoulder without you expectign it makes you jump, but this isn't really inheriently scary. I think Spoony sad it best in his review on sinister i think. [/COLOR]
    But if a game has loads of atmosphere but no actual jumpy monster moments I soon learn that nothing will happen. SO I stop beign sacred. Amnesia works because occasional there is a monster waiting behind that door to chase me. This means whenever I pushed open a door in that game I was always on edge.