Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Are you partial to emulators?

I can recommend a whole swathe of excellent turn based strategy games as well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Mission In Space: The Lost Colony is a very good tactical game where you command a squad of space marines, kill aliens and complete missions with specific goals. In your browser, free. It's quite challenging and you can kill a lot of time with it especially if you want medals for higher performance (mostly for doing it faster and with taking less damage). This is my #1 flash game.
    http://www.kongregate.com/games/Stor...he-lost-colony

POWDER is an overlooked, but very good roguelike. It's clearly inspired by DCSS (which I approve of), but has enough of its own ideas to impress. It's shorter than DCSS and much, much shorter than ToME4. However, it's definitely more replayable than ToME4 (that's not hard to achieve, I'm afraid). It's carefully designed, almost all enemies are interesting, many with unique abilities. Gods have personalities. Spells are designed according to the "I don't implement new spells that don't require new code" principle. It also has hands down the best writing of all roguelike games I know.
    http://www.zincland.com/powder/index.php?pagename=about
    pass

Pretty much everything of repute that was made in 2007 and earlier? Seriously, just good old PC games...
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    What is low spec pc for you ?

Because if terms of gaming i have low end pc :

E6550
    ATI 4850 512mb
    2 GB Ram

I'd appreciate any suggestions for anything that will run on a simple notebook up to a medium end laptop like mine
    (i3-3119m @ 2.4ghz, Intel HD graphics 4000, 4gb DDR3).

That isn't really low spec at all - it runs DOTA 2 fine - I just enjoy playing non-AAA games that you can get for cheap or a few dollars, download in a few minutes, and then normally have more fun with than all those fancy-pants mega-graphics anyway.

Anyway - progress so far - I tried out Pharoah and found it a tad fiddley, like Caeser III, every house seems to need more adjacent buildings than there could possibly be space for? I'm going to try it some more and see if I can get into it.

I also gave Spacechem a go, it was immensely enjoyable to complete some of the puzzles but I felt as though the game would often plunge you in the deep end asking you to work out entirely unfamiliar situations.

I'll buy Eador and give that a try and I will also download UnReal World. I'd still like more suggestions though!

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by noxnoctum View Post
    Anything in particular?
    How puzzly do you like your interactive fiction? For a little bit of everything (especially humour), I'd suggest:

Lost Pig
    Taco Fiction
    Violet

Anything by Andrew Plotkin, Adam Cadre or Emily Short. The descriptions should tell you if it's something you might like.

You'll need Gargoyle to play these.

Quote Originally Posted by hexagonalbolts View Post
    I tried out Pharoah and found it a tad fiddley, like Caeser III, every house seems to need more adjacent buildings than there could possibly be space for? I'm going to try it some more and see if I can get into it.
    How do you mean?

When you're putting down temples, water sources, bandstands, etc., it will take a while before the effect on the local houses is shown, so there can be a temptation to spam certain buildings and not space them out enough when you're starting... (the exception might be firehouses, of which it seems there are actually never enough.) If I look at my saved cities from the first few missions, I was obviously a bit anxious about spreading out. But a water delivery person, for instance, can serve a pretty good long stretch of road, just plan things so he doesn't have too many options (like, put supplies at the end of cul-de-sacs when reasonable) or use roadblocks to make sure he doesn't wander off.

And apothecaries etc. can probably serve a good ten-house-long stretch of road (maybe more, I've never looked these things up, that takes the fun out of it), so if you zone houses two deep on either side of the road you can get fairly dense. And parks and plazas will make a huge difference.

I do love the game. But it's certainly not easy.
    Sometimes I write things

Quote Originally Posted by GunnerMcCaffrey View Post
    Ok thanks I'll give that a stab. It's just that I'm three missions in and I'm already having to plan for fire protection, policing, architects, food markets, water supply, religious buildings, jugglers, malaria prevention, malaria treatment and probably more I have forgotten already and each of these buildings only seems to have a range of about 5-10 houses, my cities seem to have more disaster-prevention buildings than actual houses haha

Activated Node
    I didn't take the time to read through ever single post and so if anyone has mentioned this already please feel free to ridicule me with apple metaphors, but.... everything on gog.com? Specifically in the RTS category... games like Empire Earth 2, Dungeons and Dragons: Dragonshard, Dungeon Keeper 2, etc. (are you seeing the RTS trend here) are still very good and worth a look (okay Dragonshard may only be so-so, but still). Plus then there are the isometric RPGs (Planescape Torment) and classics like Starcraft (the original) and Diablo 2. Finally it should be mentioned that many ARPGs are low spec (Torchlight 2 and I heard that Diablo 3 was fairly easy to scale for lower end GPUs) as are many turn based games.

My final reccomendations would be Rome: Total War/Medieval 2 if you can run it (Rome works surprisingly well on lower end machines) and Gratuitous Space Battles (easiest game in the world to run).

TL;DR

- Dungeon Keeper
    - Original Starcraft
    - Warcraft 3
    - Sacrifice (I have heard it was fantastic, but it didn't grab me personally)
    - Civ IV + Expansions(if you can run it)
    - Civ IV: Colonization (again... if you can run it)
    - Torchlight 2
    - Gratuitous Space Battles
    - Dungeons of Dredmor
    - Scribblenauts Unlimited (very nice relaxing puzzle game)
    - Age of Mythology (greatest RTS game ever made)
    - Stronghold Crusader HD (a re-release on gog)
    - Don't Starve
    - I am sure you have heard of this, but.... Minecraft? If you are into that sort of thing
    - Terraria
    - Castle Crashers (love this game)
    - The Binding of Isaac
    - Magicka (if you can run it, I really don't know how demanding that game is or how scalable it is)
    - Mount & Blade: Warband (Fire and Sword was irritating)
    - Shank/Shank 2
    - Counter Strike: Source
    - Rayman Origins
    - Super Meatboy
    - Vessel
    - Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (the sequel is currently on sale on steam for the next 8 minutes)
    - Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
    - Neverwinter Nights 2: Platinum
    - Multiwinia
    - Awesomenauts (this is a very iffy game... I liked the concept and thought it was a fun alternative to DOTA 2, but it isn't exactly a massive game)
    - DEFCON
    - Orcs Must Die 2!
    - Hitman: Blood Money
    - Age of Empires 2 (the HD version is coming out on Steam soon)
    - IF you can run them the Paradox Grand Strategy games are massive time sinks: Hearts of Iron 3, Europa Universalis III Chronicles, Victoria 2, etc. (they require a decent bit of power despite the graphics so try a demo first)
    - Frozen synapse (great tactical turn based game)
    - Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War (the original is honestly far better than the sequel)
    - Star Ruler (it is actually a rather nice easy to run alternative to Sins of a Solar Empire)
    - Underhell/No More Room in Hell (great Half Life 2 mods)

and finally the easiest game to run in the universe...... Crysis 3. :)
    Last edited by Atrophy; 10-03-2013 at 04:59 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    MechCommander 1 and 2, as noted in the other thread. Oh, by the way, checked my old CD wallet, I HAVE BOTH DISCS STILL! :D
    So I'm gonna enjoy the video commentaries. :D

here is a video about low spec pc games
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo_XLomYKOw
    go to the authors channel for the rest of the series.

Ok thanks I'll give that a stab. It's just that I'm three missions in and I'm already having to plan for fire protection, policing, architects, food markets, water supply, religious buildings, jugglers, malaria prevention, malaria treatment and probably more I have forgotten already and each of these buildings only seems to have a range of about 5-10 houses, my cities seem to have more disaster-prevention buildings than actual houses haha
    The key is density. More people served by a single service means building fewer services and collecting more taxes. Don't spam houses, build fewer residential zones and focus on making them more desirable.
    Sometimes I write things

Network Hub
    The first Medieval TW, still the most atmospheric of the lot.

Quote Originally Posted by dsch View Post
    The first Medieval TW, still the most atmospheric of the lot.
    Agreed. Though I've found that it's a pain in the arse to get it working properly on modern OS's.

Tropico 1 & 2

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    You want simple loops for your housing neighbourhoods with roadblocks in between. People who need to travel to a specific destination will pass through the roadblocks, while wandering services will stay within each loop, covering as many houses as possible without going off-track.

And you're right about Spacechem, it is the most difficult game suggested in this thread. Possibly the most difficult game I've ever played, though it's competing against every platformer ever as far as I'm concerned. But it is so satisfying when you finally crack a puzzle.

Activated Node
    That youtube video was absolutely atrocious... the guy was unfunny and the suggestions really weren't all that great (I couldn't make it through the whole thing so for all I know it improves... but instead of looking at well optimized games... he just picked a bunch of 13 year old games.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaira- View Post
    Agreed. Though I've found that it's a pain in the arse to get it working properly on modern OS's.
    There's a thread on totalwar.org that fixed it for me a couple years ago: http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...uple-solutions

Network Hub
    http://www.gamearena.com.au/news/rea...18739?latest=1
    Coming on April 10, I'm positive any 3 year old laptop can handle the game without problems. This game is a classic and has stood the test of time. it still packs a lot of fun even after the introduction of many richer games like the Total War series.
    Will also try this one. It's been years since i first played it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    OGR
    R6:Rogue Spear
    Raven Shield
    SWAT 3
    OFP +Ex. Pack
    Deus Ex
    Half Life 1
    Thief 1/2