Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    If you like (hardcore) RPG's, I'd suggest playing Icewind Dale I&II and Baldur's Gate I&II. Timesinks if ever I saw one, but loads of fun.

Deus Ex plays surprisingly well on toasters. But I recommend running on Windowed mode if you have some framerate drops
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Watch me fail as Nobunaga

Activated Node
    Crusader kings 2 runs remarkably well on my AMD e450 netbook (aka, slow as molasses). XCOM is also surprisingly playable with the pretty bits switched off. But I guess that could be due to the fact that the chipset may be very slow, it is still very modern.

And of course the standard stuff. Lots of GOG games and AGS adventure games. I'd have a look at the wadjeteye adventures, I love them: Gemini Rue, Blackwell bundle and Resonance are the ones I've played so far.

Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Magi is another good one (not sure just how low-spec of a machine it will run on but I imagine pretty low). It's a wizard-dueling game that feels strangely like the combat in FTL in a lot of ways, with various shields and drones (summoned monsters) and chargeup times and power allocations (mana channels) coming into play. It gets fairly intense; I quite like it.

Adventure games have already been mentioned. A couple of good ones I've played just recently are Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (I know =P I'm behind the curve) and an AGS adventure game called Nelly Cootalot, which is about an aspiring pirate who rescues cute animals.

King of Dragon Pass is on GOG now too (still 12 hours left on the $3 sale, apparently) -- which is very fine, and good for sinking tons of hours into without noticing the time passing.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Network Hub Peter Radiator Full Pig's Avatar
    SpaceChem is the best puzzle game made, ever. It will make you smarter for playing it. Can be done well with just a touchpad.

I also love Binding of Issac. Spent probably about 100 hours on it all together, getting Platinum God (100% completion) and I cant wait for the updated version that expansion that is coming at the end of this year. No mouse needed at all.

Alpha Centauri is also considered the very best of the Civ-likes, and considered by many to be the very best 4X game as well. Doesnt need 3D graphics, which I like. Mouse heavy game.

Diablo 2 is still a great game, though I dislike the UI. One of the newer clones will offer a better UI. Dont get Titanquest, i think its the worst of all the clones I have played. Needs mouse in my opinion.

Of these 4, I recommend SpaceChem the most. I think it might be my favorite game ever made. Lovely interface and UI that works well with just a mouse, or use a keyboard too to speed things up. Nice and clear presentation. And above all else, excellent puzzles where just about every persons solution is different. Thats where the beauty is, no set way to figure something else. You basically have you make a machine that works. Some of the solutions that people come up with are breathtaking in their elegance and genius. Not often a game makes you think that.

Warning about FTL, its lowest supported resolution is around 1200x1024, so if you dont have a monitor that goes past 1200 you wont be able to see the whole screen, and this makes it very difficult and annoying to play.

Osmos is a lovely idea, newtownian cell fighting is how id describle it. But you can play really mellow, methodical levels, or made scrambles to become the biggest cell. Probably wouldnt work well without a mouse.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    I'm having a lot of fun lately with The Banner Saga: Factions.
    It's basically Flash, so I imagine it'll run on all sorts of machines. There seems to be no graphics settings, so unfortunately you can't turn down the resolution from 1920x1080 (though now that I think about it it probably just uses your desktop's resolution).

It's free.

I got Eador but was a bit dissapointed, it had highly repetitive gameplay (basically every possible action in the game just involved a similar fight) that I sort of bounced off.

Spacechem is growing on me, i've realised that it's actually fairly easy to understand it's just that the game often words explanations unbelievably badly. Many of the solutions can be worked out with enough chin stroking - and boy do you feel good when you work it out.

I want to try having a go at UnReal World tonight and see how I fare.

More recommendations would still be welcomed, particularly RPGs (something a bit different?) and strategy/grand strategy games.

Last summer I spent some hot, sleepless and extremely stormy nights in a hospital. For that time period, LaserCat was extremely satisfying. It's a Metroidvania-VVVVVV. Thinking of VVVVVV, Super Hexagon is a safe bet. And, mentioned in each and everyone of my forum posts since october: FTL!

Network Hub
    ANother good game is the Generals series, if you play this type of games. there are a lot of mods available and the game runs pretty well on older machines.

Hi guys,
    Check out this website dedicated to this kind of topic, it's called http://www.lowspecgaming.com/. I'm sure you'll find some great suggestions on there. There's also a list for the best low spec pc games of 2013, and also some tips on how you can boost your pc performance.. Enjoy!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've played Left 4 Dead 2 and Dear Esther recently on Intel 3000 HD card, 2GB RAM (although with Intel i5 2,3GHz) and it was running great on lowest (L4D2) and highest (DE) settings. I could probably slightly pump up the graphics in L4D2, but for online games I prefer more FPS than shinier things. That could be applied to every Source-based game/mod, I think. Portal etc.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    What about MDK? It's a very funny yet intense third-person shooter, originally a game working on MS-DOS, but you know, the great old game paradise (CDP, baby give me a kiss~) has made it workable on Windows or even Mac. Good thing to kill time. Yeah~

Evil Genius
    Nexus: The Jupiter Incident
    Two of my favourite games ever, and they're both from around 2006.
    Building, fixing and using PCs since 1999. Only PCs. Always PCs.

Obscure Node
    Thanks to everyone
    I also have no a nice list of games to try)))

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by ShEsHy View Post
    Evil Genius
    Nexus: The Jupiter Incident
    Two of my favourite games ever, and they're both from around 2006.
    Those are Ace.

Obscure Node
    Nidhogg is working pretty well on my low-spec machine, though it performs better when playing locally as opposed to online multiplayer.

Network Hub Peter Radiator Full Pig's Avatar
    Id add desktop dungeons (Both paid, and alpha) to my list, and spelunky (Once again paid or alpha) though I remember spelunky not working on my old dell laptop, for reasons I cant remember.

Anyone know how hotline miami plays on older pcs? Its a great game, it would think it has a high possiblity of running on older machines.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    FTL might work on occasion too. Lovely game. :)