Battlefleet Engineer - A tactical space combat game with fully player-designed ships

In Battlefleet Engineer you will be able to design modular spaceships from small fighters with 10 modules to capital ships with 500+, fight against computer controller opponents and fleets of similar ships, upgrade your ships and build up a fleet to take on pirates, mercenaries, corporate factions and even the armadas of interstellar empires as you please, and much more.

The game is currently still in quite early stage of development, even though quite a lot of work has already been put into development of the core engine features.

Introduction/core features overview video:

New combat features overview video:

http://youtu.be/V1doYWnJohc

Ship blueprint browser and stats

Ship editor

In-game, projectile hit flash and beam weapons illuminate a ship

What makes Battlefleet Engineer special

• Modular, freeform spaceship design where every aspect of the ship is defined by the modules and nothing else. You are not just adding upgrades to a pre-defined hull, the modules are the ship! Each module has mass, contributes resources, can add constraints to the design, may get disabled or destroyed and so on.
    • No-cheating Newtonian physics driven gameplay. Nearly all space games simplify space flight by including magical engines that can accelerate the ship in any direction and adding phantom forces or friction to simplify control. Battlefleet Engineer will have none of that, because I strongly believe that a more realistic approach will ultimately yield much more engaging gameplay and vastly deepen the ship design aspect of the game.
    • Your design choices will affect everything. The ship designs you choose or create will directly affect the viable strategies you have available in battles, as well in the bigger picture. Capital ships may be able to deal and take massive amounts of damage, but can't chase down targets, and a a squad of specialized fighters may be able to flank and disable them with ease. To success, your favorite combat strategies will need to be reflected down back to the ship designs and fleet composition.
    • Shooter or RTS, your choice. Build, upgrade and fly a single powerful ship yourself or construct, maintain and command a fleet of smaller ships. You can seamlessly take full or partial command of any ship in your fleet during combat.
    • Simulation that is not just skin-deep. The game will feature real-time simulation of resource generation, storage and consumption (electricity, fuel, ammunition, waste heat etc.) within the ships, and a per-module damage system with modifiers for different types of threats (kinetic, plasma, charged particles, radiation). The actual properties of your ships will also affect the bigger picture such as "campaign map" movement speed.
    • Logical encounters. Space is unbeliveably vast and there are no borders to be seen, so why limit the battles to relatively tiny arenas that you cannot escape? If you have a faster accelerating ship than your opponents and decide to flee an encounter, the game will let you do so. On the other hand, you will need to design your fleet for great peak acceleration (and maybe suffer from it in the battles) if you want to hunt down other fleets.

Much more information and newest updates can be found from the development blog:
    http://www.battlefleetengineer.com/

I like the idea and it looks really interesting.

Do you have a plan for a release date? (I couldn't find any information on the website)
    Last edited by BattleRabbit; 14-10-2014 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BattleRabbit View Post
    Do you have a plan for a release date? (I couldn't find any information on the website)
    I really don't know yet. I have some higher level scheduling project plans, but basically I now have just a few months of time to work full-time on this, and during that I will try to get the game to a basic playable state. However, it will require much more time to get to a state I would feel comfortable releasing as a finished, complete, product.

A current quess would be:
    Early access / alpha: Q1/2015, full release: late 2015 / early 2016
    Last edited by Metalfusion; 15-10-2014 at 07:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalfusion View Post
    I really don't know yet. I have some higher level scheduling project plans, but basically I now have just a few months of time to work full-time on this, and during that I will try to get the game to a basic playable state. However, it will require much more time to get to a state I would feel comfortable releasing as a finished, complete, product.

A current quess would be:
    Early access / alpha: Q1/2015, full release: late 2015 / early 2016

Ok cool, i'll keep my eye open for it.

October development update released: Dynamic lights, collision avoidance, level saving and loading, and basic battle AI.

More detailed/technical information is available on the development blog:
    http://www.battlefleetengineer.com/2...te-lights.html

November development update released: More control and battle deployment.

For more information take a look at the accompanying blog post (less technical and a bit shorter this time!):
    http://www.battlefleetengineer.com/2...nt-update.html

You can also check me out on Twitter

Looking good!

I can't wait to test it out :-D

New development blog post! Sorry, no video this time. January will be better!
    http://www.battlefleetengineer.com/2...ate-fixes.html

Looking good :-D, I look forward to your twitch streams.

Is this a 4x or more or less Robocraft in space? How big of a learning curve will there be? It's a very interesting idea.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonM View Post
    Is this a 4x or more or less Robocraft in space? How big of a learning curve will there be? It's a very interesting idea.
    Sorry for not replying sooner DragonM, for some reason I did not get the notification email.

It won't be a 4X style game. While there will be more than just skirmish battles and simple survival game modes, I frankly don't have the resources the create a grand strategy game on top of the combat mechanics. I can't really say much more, as I'm not myself yet sure what exactly the "campaign mode" will include.

While Robocraft has somewhat similar block/module based building mechanic at its core, as far as I know it is team-based multiplayer shooter, while Battlefleet Engineer focuses much more on tactical fleet combat. While I want to keep maintaining and flying a single ship a viable option, most often you will have a fleet of ships to directly command and manage. The fleet control and tactical combat are also probably the greatests differences from similar games that have been popping up lately.

I will try to keep the learning curve gentle by providing ready-made ship designs, difficulty settings and probably in-game tutorials as well. The ship editor will also feature a design evaluator that will point out obvious flaws such as not enough power to run the engines or thruster configuration that will result in uncontrollable ship.

I have writter some thoughts on this topic on my blog as well: http://www.battlefleetengineer.com/2...ideas-and.html

January 2015 development update released: Battle setup, ship health, combat AI

More on the accompanying development blog entry:
    http://www.battlefleetengineer.com/2015/02/january-2015-development-update-battle.html

February 2015 development update: Battle challenges, shields and radiators
    http://www.battlefleetengineer.com/2...te-battle.html