Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Network Hub
    Please note that I like to take things a little slow, but I hope to be extracting coal in bulk shortly so you can send me even more air pollution.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    Oh, I do think it is simulated, and that this is the problem, because there are so very many agents, several hundreds of thousands probably, in a city with 100k pop, that they cannot afford to be very clever.
    Alas this is not really the case. As it turns out the 'population' number is a great big lie. One you get some high density stuff they mock up the numbers to make it appear as if you have a city and not a mere village population. However, the actual agents (i.e. people running around and doing stuff) will be about one tenth of the number you have there. I checked this out on my own city and indeed, I had around 15k people when the game told me I had a population of around 200k. You can check too by demolishing housing blocks. Watch as you do it. You will loose perhaps 200 workers for demolishing one block and yet the population can drop by up to 5k! There is no way that 5k people were living in one building. I guess they did it in order to make it appear to be more like a city.

Thus, the AI is crappy but not because they are simulating hundreds of thousands of people. At most they are perhaps simulating a few tens of thousands.

Anyhow, onto my main point which was to ask if you have any space left? I could never get back onto the old server after the first day or so. I would really like to have a good crack at another one so if you do have a spare slot I would love to join you all.

Naetharu

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Yeah, there's still some room. Couldn't find you on Eu West 5 though.

Quote Originally Posted by Naetharu View Post
    Alas this is not really the case. As it turns out the 'population' number is a great big lie. One you get some high density stuff they mock up the numbers to make it appear as if you have a city and not a mere village population. However, the actual agents (i.e. people running around and doing stuff) will be about one tenth of the number you have there. I checked this out on my own city and indeed, I had around 15k people when the game told me I had a population of around 200k. You can check too by demolishing housing blocks. Watch as you do it. You will loose perhaps 200 workers for demolishing one block and yet the population can drop by up to 5k! There is no way that 5k people were living in one building. I guess they did it in order to make it appear to be more like a city.

Thus, the AI is crappy but not because they are simulating hundreds of thousands of people. At most they are perhaps simulating a few tens of thousands.
    Ah by people you mean workers, I take it? That's disappointing, but perhaps understandable. I read someone complaining about the very low percentage of the population actually constituting the workforce. Now I see wht he meant.

Obscure Node
    Ah by people you mean workers, I take it? That's disappointing, but perhaps understandable. I read someone complaining about the very low percentage of the population actually constituting the workforce. Now I see wht he meant.
    Aye, there is a little number that shows your 'population' when you are playing. That can get pretty high (200k+ in a medium size city) but that number is just plain nonsense. The actual population, as in the number of sims running around taking jobs, paying for goods and clogging up your roads is less than ten percent of that in the mid to late game. Either someone at Maxis made a mistake and the population number is bugged (possible?) or they just fudged it to make it appear as if you have a city when really you have a village with skycrapers (far more probable if you ask me).

Either way, the upshot is that even in a crazy sized city full of high-density stuff you have at most around 20-25k sims going about their lives. That 200k+ number is just plucked out of the air and means nothing. It's not too bad once you realise that, however, I do wish they had just made the numbers accurate as right now it is far more confusing that it needs to be.

Oh, and my Origin-ID is Naetharu1984 if you would be so kind as to pop me an invite in to the region.

I'd like to join the region again :D. Ll4m4geddon

Right, both of you should have invites waiting for you.

Network Hub
    I keep getting embezzlers from other cities in the quadrant. You guys need to do something about your criminal population! Also I need garbage trucks, since I had to turn off garbage services to get my city profitable without devastating tax increases while I try to level up my Trade HQ.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    I don't know how many of you are reading the SimCity thread in the main forums. But I've done a bit of trawling for info.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...l=1#post272707
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...l=1#post272708

Summary: UI population is a lie. The code itself refers to it as 'fudged'. Over 500 residents and the number of "agents" (sims who move about) does not tally with the population count.

Secondly, "people" agents work in a very specific manner, documented here:
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...l=1#post272721

Basically, as you probably know, sims are agents with -exactly- the same behaviour as power 'blips'. They go to the nearest place they are needed when they are created (work, back home shops) and, if they get to their location and find it full only then do they go to the next place.

To that end: I would be interested to know from those of you actually playing: Is the "One road only" system I have put forward in that post above a) viable and b) more effective than a grid system?
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Guys in southern quadrant, Ridebird, Mbaya and Ninjadeath:

What do you say to starting an international airport great work?
    Honestly, I have no idea. I progress quite slowly, especially after learning some of the mechanics of the simulation at work. I've yet to even check out what great works can be done or how to contribute. But I'm easy going, as far as I'm concerned, you're the 'Guvnor of our little corner of the world and I'll follow your lead.
    Virtual Organ Doner - "It's better to gib, than to receive."
    .: Steam :: Screenshots :: Steam Beautiful Screenshots Group :.

Took some time reading the SimCity forums and yeah, it's disappointing to see how the simulation actually works, but I really appreciate the work you've done Cooper, the more information the better...even if the game is turning somewhat into a puzzle game rather than an in depth simulation.

I can't comment about single roads over grid systems yet though, my current city utilises a heavy mix of Res/Com zones in an effort to help with pathing, but the fact the majority of drivers ignore my high capacity avenues has rendered the experiment somewhat useless (but has shed light on the shortest distance > shortest time travelled system). I will most likely look at trying a mix in the future...larger grids, focused around individual 'feeder' lanes.

I've found dirt roads an effective way of adding 'U-Turn' points in the middle of long avenues though, although it's a bit ugly, I expect that could help single road systems a lot too.

Network Hub
    Found an awesome bug that was probably responsible for New Davington Heights' processing errors and subsequent disappearance: recycling collected from neighbouring cities will not be processed. It'll show up in your recycling center as recycling to be processed, but it'll never actually go away. So if you have recycling centers, whatever you do: don't volunteer your recycling trucks to your neighbours.

And finally levelled up my oil only to discover that yes, oil is the worst possible specialization. Crude is 4500/1000 barrels, which is next to worthless, plastic is 12,000/1000, and fuel is only 21,000/1000. You would think that given how annoying it is to level up Oil that fuel would be relatively rare in the global market, and thus actually worth a hell of a lot. Metals specialization is far more lucrative, and obviously electronics is the absolute best.

And something has gone horribly wrong with my residential, as I have quite a few neighbourhoods that will not be happy no matter what, thus refusing to increase density and leaving me with a massive employment gap that is screwing over my commercial districts.

Banned
    I'm up for building the airport or a space centre, but I'll need to research the space centre if we want that.

I don't really know what to do though because until there is a traffic fix my city is honestly totally utterly FUCKED.

Nothing is getting anywhere, the school on the furthest side of the city never gets any students any more.

My city suddenly went negative money after building loads of cool stuff most likely because of traffic issues, and now my tax rate is on minus 20,000 or there about and nothing can fix it bar turning everything off including the uni, which then sends my educated workers plummeting and business bottoms out and we all lose the sweet bonuses ( i have a region wide commercial boosting business school)

The only way I'm surviving is exporting a lot of processors. (I might add I'm not keen on these state run businesses)

Network Hub
    WHAT. THE. FUCK. SPOONER PLAINS?

Where are your police?! Why did you waste money on Maxis Manor?! I'm getting 200 criminals a day from you! It's really screwing with my businesses.

So my city was doing fantastically well. I had all bases covered and around 100k population. Hell, even skyscrapers were coming up and I was in the green.

Just now, I got an error stating that my city is not 'processing properly' (WTF?) and told me to quit to region view. Fair enough, I did so and then went back on my city. It gave me the options to either 'Roll Back' to a working state or to completely abandon it.

What the Hell!? My city was working absolutely perfectly. There was nothing wrong with it what-so-ever!

So I said 'fuck it' and selected to roll-back. As soon as my city loaded, the game told me that I needed to quit to region view again due to 'processing errors'. So I'm stuck in a loop.

Seriously. Seriously.
    Guild Wars 2:

Main character name is Seigous Bearheart. I also play on Duke Witherheart. And Lindenheart.

My GW2 blog that you can follow on Twitter.

My city was just balancing out as manageable at about 140k pop and now it's suddenly decided not to spawn any streetcars, ever. Have completely demolished and rebuilt all streetcar roads, stops and terminals but still nothing. I also can't get any tourists to come, max I get a day is around 70 if I'm lucky. Have built and airport, that doesn't seem to do much. Anyone got any tips? I was hoping to start a tourist/gambling industry, I've not tried that yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Krathor View Post
    As soon as my city loaded, the game told me that I needed to quit to region view again due to 'processing errors'. So I'm stuck in a loop.

Seriously. Seriously.
    Same thing happened to one of my cities Krathor, EA are requesting information on those effected at http://answers.ea.com/t5/Miscellaneo...731232#U731232

Network Hub
    Nathaeru, can you abandon Spooner Plains, please? It's pretty clearly a troll town (you've got disconnected road segments all over the place, all of your services are turned off, and two thirds of your buildings are abandoned) and it's fucking up the entire northern quadrant with its crime problem.

Cheers Mbaya - I've posted in that thread and I hope that they make progress with it. It's a terrific little city too. I have selected the 'Rollback' option again from region view today and I said that it should be taking a couple of minutes, so we'll see what happens this evening.

In the meantime, how is my city holding up? Is it still there on region view? I hope it's not spreading crime or anything anywhere.
    Guild Wars 2:

Main character name is Seigous Bearheart. I also play on Duke Witherheart. And Lindenheart.

My GW2 blog that you can follow on Twitter.

Obscure Node
    I'm so sorry Dave! This isn't a troll town unfortunately. My oil ran down and my economy started plunging. I repurposed for gambling gambling and this broke me. I cut all services to stop being bankrupt, moved out all my high wealth citizens and am aiming for tourism.

I'm cleaning up the streets now!