Lesser Hivemind Node EPICTHEFAIL's Avatar

So, um... Star Conflict?

I`ve been playing this for a few days now, since I can finally log on (shakes fist at TotalBiscuit) so I`ve been wondering: does RPS actually have a corp in SC? Indeed, is there any interest in one? As far as I can tell the game would be a lot of fun in an organized environment, what with the way ships can compliment each other in their various roles.

The game is basically a Freelancer-style flight model, with some MMO-ish elements (ship abilities, modules and so on) but is at its heart a rather nice space shooter. Plus its free, and not the Hi-rez-style "logging on doesn`t cost anything, but you must pay to have fun" kind of nonsense either. I daresay it may veer too much in the other direction in fact. I have yet to reach the higher tiers, but so far I can`t find any major flaws apart from me sucking ass despite having played StarWraith for years.

So, anyone interested?

Lesser Hivemind Node cyberpunkdreams's Avatar
    It looks kind of interesting (although I've never played it), but it depends how much of a time suck it would be, of course! The concept art looks awesome, better than the game itself (as usual!):

http://star-conflict.com/en/media/artwork/

Quote Originally Posted by EPICTHEFAIL View Post
    (...) Plus its free, and not the Hi-rez-style "logging on doesn`t cost anything, but you must pay to have fun" kind of nonsense either.(...)
    Wait, what?
    Hi-Rez as an example of bad F2P? How?
    Tribes and especially Smite are among the fairest F2P titles out there. In Smite you get 5 of 30 champs for free. Plus another 5 different ones every week. Plus you can rent them per match for about the same amount of currency you make in two matches.
    AND you can just spend 30€ once and have all gods there are and ever will be for free forever.
    I normally try to not hijack random threads with my fanboyism, but using the one company that actually allows you to buy everything there is in their free to play games for one reasonable payment as an example of bad F2P strikes me kinda wierd.

And that while the game you suggest allows you to just buy ingame currency in a MMO. Meaning more money spent is allways an advantage to less money spent...
    Currently playing Supraball, Titanfall, Wildstar and Eve.
    If you happen to like or be interested in fw or general lowsec shenanigans in Eve, say "o/". Name is De'Vadder there.

I've played some of this, I think it's pretty cool. It's not too twitchy, but the ships float about quite convincingly.

I'd quite like to do the waves/scenario/horde mode stuff with some people on mumble actually, most pubbies just die without saying anything. I once spent 10 minutes playing on my own without noticing because they'd all ragequit having lost all their ships.

@DeVadder ah, so you must`ve been one of those people who were lucky enough not to experience Global Agenda.

@Pilot13 really? Most of my pubs are actually quite competent and not very rage-prone either. The scenarios do get quite boring, due to there only being 1 map, but it`s good for testing new ships.

One thing I`d like to add, on closer inspection the Skills system seems broken as fuck. If you fight someone in your tier who outlevels you, you will die horribly. The Jericho stuff in particular lets you tank stupid amounts of damage.

The one thing that I've seemed to notice, and I might be wrong on this, but because faction ships have special modules, you cant seem to get that as a seperate module for other ships, even if they're of the same class. I only say because I'd quite like the federation interceptor's cloak for my jericho ships.

Yep. To be frank though, a Disintegrator on a Jericho frigate would be overpowered beyond belief, likewise a web on a frigate, or a cloak on a rocket-spamming interceptor.

Also, if anyone further up the tier ladder is reading this, the wiki (yes, it exists) informs me that long range versions exist of all of the various weapons, as well as close-in rapid fire variants. How much is the difference, exactly? Is it like 5%, or EVE-style 1 shot per minute vs beamspam mcmuppet?