Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

To Be a Beat Cop: Sleepings Dogs Year of the Snake

A new DLC for this great game has been out, check it out if you want to be a beat cop who thinks out of the box:

Only that Lunar New Year for the beginning of the Snake year has passed, but have fun.

Looks like good fun! I just finished the main story and looks like I should get buying some of the DLC. :)

Cool! Finished SD recently but still have an itch for more. I would've bought Nightmare in North Point if it hadn't looked so stupid and gotten such mediocre reviews. This new DLC looks more like my thing. :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Henke View Post
    Cool! Finished SD recently but still have an itch for more. I would've bought Nightmare in North Point if it hadn't looked so stupid and gotten such mediocre reviews. This new DLC looks more like my thing. :)
    It's actually not bad. Your face meter gets replaced with what I call "dragon ball z" meter, where by when you fill it up your fists go on fire. If you don't want it full price I'd suggest it at a sale.

I'm looking forward to this one, they've all been great fun so far.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Yeah. I've gotten all the SLeeping Dogs DLC during various sales. I really enjoyed the game (even if I feel it had some pretty bad padding in terms of driving and that the gameplay didn't advance beyond what was covered in the tutorial) and look forward to more, but haven't been in the right mood to conquer the DLCs just yet. So I'll grab this on sale whenever.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I didn't like Nightmare in Northpoint much, but Zodiac Island was absolutely terrific. A wonderful homage to old HK action movies that is spot on.

Network Hub
    Looks great but will it take longer than 1 hour to finish?

Network Hub
    I didn't know Sleeping Dogs was so popular. What sets it apart from a GTA-a-like with melee, or does it just do that very well?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Depending on who you talk to the story is very good. I like the story. The character makes some nice progress over the course of it.

The focus on melee vs gunplay is also very nice for a change. There are no silly over the top guns in it and there's no gun stores or anything like that. It plays like a very good action movie.

The city looks damn pretty too.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Quote Originally Posted by dsch View Post
    What sets it apart from a GTA-a-like with melee, or does it just do that very well?
    There isn't really any stand-out feature to Sleeping Dogs if that's what you mean. Everything it does has been done before. It's simply a well-made game. The story and the characters are interesting. The driving, shooting, and world exploration are all fun. But best of all is the hand-to-hand combat. I thought it would be like the Batman games but it turned out to be more challenging and complex that those. At times it feels like Oni, which is my fave beat-em up ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    If you don't want it full price I'd suggest it at a sale.
    Alas, I got it on the XBox. The Marketplace isn't as generous with it's sales as Steam is. :/ Might still get Year of the Snake if the word of mouth turns out to be good. Zodiac Tournament looks like a hoot as well. :D
    Last edited by Henke; 13-03-2013 at 06:28 PM.

Giantbomb QL.

The guy playing it has ADD or something, but still pretty informative.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    My overall thought on Year of the Snake: It feels a lot more like the True Crime franchise that Sleeping Dogs came from than the game proper or the rest of the DLC does, but somehow - somehow - that's not a bad thing.

I was, however, a little disappointed that arresting people doesn't seem to do anything beyond adding an additional way to take an enemy down. I was kind of hoping the DLC would react differently depending on whether you did mostly arrests or were more violent (even in the simplistic way True Crime did), but maybe that was expecting too much from a ú5 DLC. The story was a little weak in presentation, which is a shame because it was a decent story; just presented badly. Overall, though, I liked it.

I didn't know Sleeping Dogs was so popular. What sets it apart from a GTA-a-like with melee, or does it just do that very well?
    I'll just copy and paste my Steam recommendation:-

It's too easy to superficially look at Sleeping Dogs and dismiss it as a GTA-clone, which is a shame, because Sleeping Dogs is something quite special. In fact, it's more like Red Dead Redemption, in that it is a fascinating study in how games can learn the *right* things from film without succumbing to the common malady of film-envy that's responsible for so many poor games. Yes, the mechanics are familiar, but their implementation supports the story-genre far more than any arbitrary gaming paradigm. This is first and foremost a Hong Kong Cinema game, and any similarity to open-world third-person action games is more a matter of convenience than what the game's really about.
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of na´vetÚ. It's na´vetÚ turned inside-out. Na´vetÚ wearing a sneer." -Momus

Activated Node
    I don't care much for GTA 4, but I liked Sleeping Dogs.

The story and setting are better. The melee combat is much more fun than GTA 4's guns, particularly the environment kills. The driving is much much better and more fun, particularly the motorcycles (my favorite in Sleeping Dogs, unusable in GTA). Sleeping Dogs doesn't sacrifice fun for realism, so you have Assassin's Creed style running, Just Cause style vehicle hijacks, and a bit of Max Payne bullet-time style lunges.

Perhaps most importantly, GTA 4 loves to waste your time, while Sleeping Dogs doesn't. The friends that constantly pester you for boring dates are replaced with individual date missions that are actually fun. When failing a mission, GTA forces you to waste 5-10 min driving from the mission acceptance point to the arms dealer for a bullet proof vest and then to the mission start point. Sleeping Dogs has a convenient check point at the start of the mission, and through out the missions.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    I thoroughly enjoyed Sleeping Dogs and I'd recommend playing it. Ragnar's right - GTA4 went out of its way to annoy you (even San Andreas did to some extent, with the whole "eat right and exercise or get fat" thing), while Sleeping Dogs gets out of your way and lets you have fun. It's doing nothing that other games haven't done, breaking no new ground, but who doesn't want a competently-made, polished, GTA clone with a non-terrible plot and decent, chunky feeling melee combat?

(Al Quaeda, that's who)

Network Hub
    Thanks for your thoughts, people! I've only seen TB's video before now, and he's not exactly the twistiest spanner in the toolbox.

Network Hub
    Just finished the main game. It was a bit clunky in places, but really enjoyed the melee and story. There were these plot beats where it feels just as if it had come out of a movie.

Banned
    The main game was very good, a lot of the DLC isn't a good buy.
    I can only recommend drunken fist and maybe zodiac.

I haven't tried this dlc yet.