Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar

Free/Flash Games of the Year

OK so there's already a game of they year topic but I'd imagine for most of us we forked over some hard cash for our favourites. That however doesn't mean there hasn't been some excellent free games on offer both as downloads and as Flash games. So let's go celebrate them! I'm pretty sure I will have forgotten a lot of them but these are the ones that are sprining to my mind.

Free

Viriax - http://www.locomalito.com/juegos_viriax.php

Little arcade game featuring a double jumping virus making it's way through the body. Only problem, double jumping and attacking lowers your health, so you have to actually think carefully before killing everything in sight. Works really well but gets bastard hard, I could never complete the last couple of levels.

Octodad -http://www.octodadgame.com/octodad/download/

OK this is geating a bit, as this was from last year really but they did add two new levels and it deserves to be highlighted and well I'm just going to respond to any naysayers with

SuteF - http://rottentater.com/sutef/

OK this came out in 2010, I know, I'm not very good at this! But in my defence it did come out of the 28th of December, which for the purposes of year end lists is as good as 2011. It's another one of those indie puzzle platformers with creepy stylings but it is well done, if for the most part too easy.

Flash

Burrito Bison - http://www.kongregate.com/games/Juic.../burrito-bison

Best launch yourself into the air and then hit things game since Nanaca Crash? Who knows! Who cares! It looks great and was a fun time waster and that's pretty much all I ask of a flash game.

Elephant Quest - http://www.kongregate.com/games/Armo...elephant-quest

More elephant based game pastiche and it's as charming as such things always are. Plus any flash game which goes to the trouble of warning you with an amusing message when you click outside the screen is a flash game upon which due care and attention has been lavished!

Sissy's magical Ponycorn Adventure - http://www.ponycorns.com/game.html

"But the lemon is still evil!" The cutest game you will play this or any year.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    While it is sadly too easy, I'd definitely vote for XenoSquad - I loved Incubation. A lot.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    (Dis)Honorable mention for a flash game someone posted here where you play Vin Diesel street racing some female driver, then when you win getting to sex up the loser in a second game of "where to apply pressure" to get her to orgasm.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSignalX View Post
    (Dis)Honorable mention for a flash game someone posted here where you play Vin Diesel street racing some female driver, then when you win getting to sex up the loser in a second game of "where to apply pressure" to get her to orgasm.
    That game is "Meet n' Fuck: Street Racing". I remember playing the Meet n' Fuck games when I was 11. They're awesome.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    If anyone can point me to a more suitable thread, I'll be grateful. Meanwhile...

Mission in Space: The Lost Colony
    www.kongregate.com/games/StormAlligator/mission-in-space-the-lost-colony

This flash game is another tactical space marine game. Command your squad to complete a sequence of missions in a claustrophobic space station. Typically there's a turn limit, aliens keep spawning. You need to rescue other team members, operate machinery, retrieve items or just evacuate most of the team to the elevator.

The game has separate action points and [/i]movement points[/i], around 6 per soldier. They are used independently, action for shooting, handling items and operating stuff like switches while movement is solely for moving around. There are numerous passive and activated abilities you can purchase for your marines. Things like shotgun, sprint, flamethrower, bombs, nanohealing. Each of the 6 marines has a different class. Reaction fire is limited by ammo left in your clip and reducing movement points on the next round.

The game is on hexes. There's light radius, motion sensor, all aliens so far are melee. The game might have a more Space Hulk-y feeling than X-COM. Difficulty level picks up quite fast. It's hard without being frustrating or random.

Presentation is very good for a flash game, and with nice music and sounds.
    pass

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Frog Fractions gentlemen:

http://twinbeardstudios.com/frog-fractions

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    I had a lot of fun with Frog Fractions.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    I had a lot of fun with Frog Fractions.
    Dear lord, yes, I believe we can close this thread now.

Banned
    I loved Infectonator, where you have to upgrade your zombie virus to infect as many people as possible and make your zombies tougher and last longer.

Pandemic was similar, in that you had to upgrade a virus and infect the world, but it featured no outright violence whatsoever, yet was all the more disturbing for being so coldly calculating.

Rebuild was great fun as well, allowing you to build up a post apocalyptic human settlement over turns. It was very like a turnbased strategy version of the Walking Dead.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I have no idea what the appeal of Frog Fractions is.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    I have no idea what the appeal of Frog Fractions is.
    Agreed. Seems rather dross.

It had lots of unexpected moments. It was over-the-top, and I can certainly see why someone would find it the unappealing sort of absurd as opposed to the appealing, but especially since it was on such a different scale from what I was expecting going in that I couldn't help but like it.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    If anyone can point me to a more suitable thread, I'll be grateful. Meanwhile...

Mission in Space: The Lost Colony
    www.kongregate.com/games/StormAlligator/mission-in-space-the-lost-colony

This flash game is another tactical space marine game. Command your squad to complete a sequence of missions in a claustrophobic space station. Typically there's a turn limit, aliens keep spawning. You need to rescue other team members, operate machinery, retrieve items or just evacuate most of the team to the elevator.

The game has separate action points and [/i]movement points[/i], around 6 per soldier. They are used independently, action for shooting, handling items and operating stuff like switches while movement is solely for moving around. There are numerous passive and activated abilities you can purchase for your marines. Things like shotgun, sprint, flamethrower, bombs, nanohealing. Each of the 6 marines has a different class. Reaction fire is limited by ammo left in your clip and reducing movement points on the next round.

The game is on hexes. There's light radius, motion sensor, all aliens so far are melee. The game might have a more Space Hulk-y feeling than X-COM. Difficulty level picks up quite fast. It's hard without being frustrating or random.

Presentation is very good for a flash game, and with nice music and sounds.

Ooh. Very nice. Quite enjoying this now, thanks. :)

Quote Originally Posted by TheXand View Post
    Agreed. Seems rather dross.
    Hope it's because you only played for 5 minutes.

or I've missed something

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    Hope it's because you only played for 5 minutes.

or I've missed something
    You play a frog and have to catch insects with your tongue for fraction based scores? I just can't really see the appeal, unless you've got a heavy love of fractions, or there's a wholly different game mode that I'm missing.

It probably is because I only played it for 5 minutes.

Hahaha, oh man you really need to keep playing there is SO much more to it than you think.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    Hahaha, oh man you really need to keep playing there is SO much more to it than you think.
    Well now I'm scared. The last time someone told me that I lost a weekend in Crusader Kings 2.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I got as far as the fake citizenship test. Everything up to that point was boring, so I stopped playing.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by TheXand View Post
    Well now I'm scared. The last time someone told me that I lost a weekend in Crusader Kings 2.
    I'll give you a tip. The turtle can swim down as well as side to side. Go back and play it some more.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Innocent View Post
    You, sir, are awesome.
    I spew words about Videogames, SEO and general geekery at Jaketucker.com

Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.