Thread: Vertical mice

Vertical mice

I'd just like to ask you folks about your thoughts about vertical mice. Even though I'm very happy with my Logitech Anywhere MX, when I saw this thing I couldn't help but be intrigued. It's looks like a joystick, you hold it like a joystick, but it moves like a mouse, and you use your thumb for both left and right clicking. Isn't that just the weirdest thing?

There are other models of vertical mice that look more like normal mice, just tilted slightly vertically, but they look too bulky to be comfortable to use. I can at least imagine that a, um, stickmouse(?) would be comfortable for someone to use, although I doubt it would be a preferable alternative to someone who's accustomed to a regular mouse. I don't know about you, but the weight of my hand rests on the desk, not on the mouse, so I imagine that thing would be more difficult to move, given that your hand and arm are pressing it down on the desk, but I obviously couldn't know for sure.

It seems just interesting enough that I want it for the sake of novelty. Maybe it's even good for gaming. Joysticks used to be really big in PC gaming. Who knows, some of that might have rubbed off on this thing.

Have you ever seen one of these things before? Has anyone used something like this, or something like a vertical mouse? What are they like?

I got one of those at work when my upper limbs were playing up. Basically the idea of it is to keep the fleshy bit of your wrist from rubbing against the desk.

It took a bit of getting used to - it's really nothing like using a joystick. I never tried it for gaming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I wear a wrist band aka sweat band. Those cotton slightly elasticated things you see tennis players wearing, they completely removed the wrist pain I used to get.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlander View Post
    Basically the idea of it is to keep the fleshy bit of your wrist from rubbing against the desk.
    An excellent idea if you happen to game on a desk made out of raw wood. I suspect a bit of sanpaper and coating would be a cheaper solution though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    An excellent idea if you happen to game on a desk made out of raw wood. I suspect a bit of sanpaper and coating would be a cheaper solution though.
    It's really more the compression of the tendons that pressing against the surface which can cause trouble. Though I suspect you knew that, you sarky bugger ;)

Banned
    I didn't, actually.

Just how much does your wrist weigh?

Depends on your sitting position and where your arm is. If your elbow isn't resting on anything, or if your seat is too high or low, that's gonna put more weight on where your hand is resting on the desk. The actual mass of your hand has little to do with it, but that's not what you wanted to know anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlander View Post
    I got one of those at work when my upper limbs were playing up. Basically the idea of it is to keep the fleshy bit of your wrist from rubbing against the desk.

It took a bit of getting used to - it's really nothing like using a joystick. I never tried it for gaming.
    Are you still using it? Did it eventually get as easy to use as a regular mouse?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    I have been trying different things to alleviate carpal tunnel pains (they are still mild and infrequent) but nothing feels as "comfortable" (perhaps not the right word) as regular old mouse with base of palm on the desk. It is uncomfortable after hours of gaming, but for me it is familiar and I seem to be quicker and more accurate that way. Even using one of those pads for my wrist diminishes accuracy and speed. I imagine a stick mouse would be even worse, though ergonomically better.

I had the same thought about the stick mouse's precision. Since you'd be using your wrist and arm muscles to move it instead of your finger muscles, you'd be sacrificing the precision that you get from finger manipulations. Although I could simply be making that up, seeing as I don't really notice any immediate difference in precision when I use only my fingers and wrist to move my regular mouse versus moving my arm and keeping my fingers and wrist immobile. I might be slower using my arm, though.

Network Hub
    Maybe train yourself to use the other hand for your mouse (if it's ambidextrous like the Razer ones)? Been thinking about that myself for the same reasons.