Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Browser Based RSS reader

In case you didn't know Google Reader is going kaput, so I'll need a new reader.
    Do you have any recommendation? I just need something with similar capabilities to google reader, mostly the starred option.

Thank you very much.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I have found Google reader to be somewhat competent,
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I have found Google reader to be somewhat competent,
    Too bad it's going to be shut down July 1st.

Anyhow, I'm also interested in this. And preferably there should be also a browser-plugin for the RSS-reader for Chrome. Apparently Feedly has that, but it seems too "magazine"-like for me since I just want a list of headlines and their sources. The Old Reader touts itself as being similar to Google Reader of old, but I haven't been able to find a plugin for that for Chrome.

It's iGoogle I'm really gonna miss. I look forwards to finding a decent replacement to that

It's iGoogle I'm really gonna miss. I look forwards to finding a decent replacement to that
    Protopage is what I'm trying to switch to as an alternative. It's not as attractive, but it's functional.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaira- View Post
    The Old Reader touts itself as being similar to Google Reader of old, but I haven't been able to find a plugin for that for Chrome.
    That seems precisely what I've been looking for. Unfortunately it seems overload with traffic as it's working slow and it has the import function disabled. Might check it out again in a few weeks when things have settled down.

I feel your pain. In fact, I'd already felt it last year when Google decided to kill the social features of Reader in a stupid effort to push g+.

I recommend Feedly. I've been using it as an extension in Firefox and the android App. It also has apps for Android and iPhone, and with a few minor tweaks can be quite similar to GReader.

http://blog.feedly.com/2013/03/14/ti...ing-to-feedly/

I've been furiously trying out new RSS readers:

Newsblur: OK functionality, but only 12 feeds in a free account.
    Feedly: Looks fine, works fine after some tweaking (I like my feeds as a plain list, no image-centered magazine rendering ...)
    The Old Reader: Exact clone, but swamped with traffic atm.

I'm sticking with Feedly for now, because they promise to come up with a decent web-based client (no extension juggling), and they promise to replicate the greader backend. But keeping my eye on alternatives, nevertheless.

Oooohh, Feedly has all my starred items saved. That's lovely of them.

Yeah, the fact that you don't even have to import anything (it already does so automatically when you sign up using google) is a huge plus.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    After Google promptly disabled my account with several GB of important mail, I severed my ties with them. I still don't know why, but I suspect I refused to enter the Google+ bullcrap, and didn't use my real name.
    Anyway, since I don't even have a smartphone, I only read things on my own laptop, I use Bamboo extension for Firefox. it's really simple, you can export your data easily and it's really fast. The best feature is nested groups. I tried several readers without this funcionality, but it was a while ago.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Use Opera.

Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    After Google promptly disabled my account with several GB of important mail, I severed my ties with them..
    Who what why?

Who what why?
    Story of my life. I said precisely that, then went about complaining about that on the forums. There I found someone who had already been affected and recommended me a backup solution. It was too late, I didn't have access to the account anymore.
    I have never ever talked directly to a Google employee, but I tried very hard. Sent several mails to the costumer support. Several months and automated responses later, I just gave up. After all, I'm not their client, the advertisers are.
    Since than I have been using Thunderbird with backups to SpiderOak. Can't be too careful. I registered another account, but it's mostly throwaway/spam.

I'm currently trying both Netvibes and Feedly. After a day of use I think Netvibes is a better option if you don't need to keep your RSS subscriptions synced across computers, smartphones and tablets, but if you do then Feedly is the way to go (Hate its interface, though). Once the dust settles down somewhat I'll look into The Old Reader as well...
    Add me: Steam

Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    After Google promptly disabled my account with several GB of important mail, I severed my ties with them. I still don't know why, but I suspect I refused to enter the Google+ bullcrap, and didn't use my real name.
    Anyway, since I don't even have a smartphone, I only read things on my own laptop, I use Bamboo extension for Firefox. it's really simple, you can export your data easily and it's really fast. The best feature is nested groups. I tried several readers without this funcionality, but it was a while ago.
    I'm trying Bamboo, I like it but there is one thing that bothers me. Is there a way to make it mark the items as read as I scroll them?

Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    I'm trying Bamboo, I like it but there is one thing that bothers me. Is there a way to make it mark the items as read as I scroll them?
    Not that I'm aware of. I just read them all by order and then mark everything as read. The author was quite active on the addons page, last time I checked, and with the Reader kerfuffle it must be flooding.

I'm enjoying netvibes as an alternative. The interface is certainly much more pleasant for someone just coming out of google reader. The only drawback is the lack of android/iPhone apps.

I use NewsFox, but if you wanted a Firefox add-on you've probably found it or an alternative already.

Bumpety bump.

So I've been leaving it as late as possible to transfer from Google Reader and I still haven't decided what I'm going to use to replace it.

Feedly seems to be the most attractive to me since it has a phone app and can import all my stuff from Google Reader as well; but I'm still keeping an open mind.

How have people been getting on with their replacement RSS readers?