Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I'm still clinging to google reader but I have all my stuff ready to go to feedly.
    The fact that it keeps my starred items is a life saver.

I ended up staying with feedly. Now that they have a 100% web-based option, it's almost perfect.

Hivereader.com has entered closed beta now, though, if you still want a new-ish option.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Feedly is nice on mobile devices, although it still tries to mangle your feeds into a 'magazine' format more than I'd like it to, and I still don't think they've completed their migration service (and they're cutting it fine?)

It's browser version requires a plugin/extension tho - it's not HTML - and that puts me off it quite a bit.

I've been using "The Old Reader" which is OK but it's GR from a few years back and I miss some of the nicer features like auto-marking-as-read...

I have to admit that I've actually just stopped reading a lot of RSSs because I've not found the right tool to read them with - a lot of the things I got from RSS I now get from Twitter tho, so...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    [QUOTE=Maknol;321117]I ended up staying with feedly. Now that they have a 100% web-based option, it's almost perfect./QUOTE]

Do they have that now? I'll have to take a peek

Oh yes, and for some reason all my feeds are 'read' which is - err - odd as I've not looked at them in a week :(

Cloud.feedly will not retain read item status because it's divorced from Google Reader (i.e. it's on Feedly's hardware instead of pulling from Google's). I haven't read their posts but I figure there's some technical barrier. But that'll only happen once (the first time you go to cloud.feedly and sync to their hardware).
    Last edited by Jambe; 23-06-2013 at 04:29 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus groovychainsaw's Avatar
    Considering I'm almost completely dependent on RSS for news and love the cacheing function on greader (on android) for my train journey with patchy mobile coverage, I was going to be ruined until they added the new feedly cloud as a sync option to the app. And... it's pretty good. I can read on phone and on any PC and sync my read/starred items between both. Was relatively painless leaving google reader, ultimately as the functionality is there and feedly have toned down their graphics-heavy interface to something a bit more easy on the eye these days.

Lifehacker (as I suppose every other tech site out there) has an article about alternatives. Some have already been mentioned in this thread, but I'd still like to hear from people who are using them.

http://lifehacker.com/google-reader-...-alter-5990456
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Obscure Node
    Out of all those I've tried AOL Reader feels most like Google. It's a bit slow to update at the moment but hopefully that will improve.

FTR I ended up picking The Old Reader for no other reason that it offered an option to create an account instead of logging in through other services.
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

I switched to The Old Reader. It works without a plugin and it looks OK. Not sure about mobile apps, social functions or speed of update because respectively I don't have a mobile device to set those apps to, don't care about them and read RSS only once or twice a day (plus I don't use it read news or folks who produce dozens of posts every day).

Can't say anything about the import of star-marked records because I only use it as "read later" and my real favourites go to my HDD or just my memory since the internet works like the Ministry of Truth: in a few years everything either somewhat fucked up or 404ed.

Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    FTR I ended up picking The Old Reader for no other reason that it offered an option to create an account instead of logging in through other services.
    Well, wrong choice. After the meltdown, they're looking for someone to take over: http://blog.theoldreader.com/post/56...erate-measures

Short version, users who signed up after March have two weeks to migrate (or cross their fingers and hope they find a buyer)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Oh dear.
    Feedly is ok. Though I don't know how easy it'll be to get your data across now google reader is shut down.
    I went with feedly purely because the android rss app that I use (and most others) went with feedly.

What i'm really hoping is that feedly will now start to inovate, rather than just copy google reader. (which was stagnant for years).
    Some said the death of Google Reader was the death of RSS. Some said it was a chance for RSS to evolve and do something cool. Right now it just seems to have moved from google reader to feedly and look a bit nicer.

Network Hub
    The more I use feedly the more I dislike it.

I've signed up for NewsBlur on account of it looking so good: turns out there's a waiting list that you can bypass if you pay - gah! they should have said that earlier but I guess in that case they would have missed the chance to harvest another email address/facebook profile.

So, NewsVibe, but it looks like one of those cases where 'minimalistic' just translates to 'barebones'.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    Use Opera.
    Agreed, but v12 not that castrated v15 they put out recently, which doesn't have a news reader.

Or if you don't want to use the whole browser, you can use the now-standalone mail client which is what the news reader is based on even in the full Opera version.
    Last edited by DanMan; 05-08-2013 at 09:30 PM.