Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Obscure Node

Can I (sort of) get away with this ?

Hey peeps.

I moved to the UK last October. Now, turns out I'm moving back home sooner than expected, home being France, and sooner being in late May/early June.

Since I needed a phone subscription, I got one from T-Mobile. Thinking I'd stay for at least three years, I got a 24 months contract. Obviously, I'm not gonna be using it in a few months, so I called T-Mobile to see how I'd go about cancelling it. As I expected, I'd have to pay for the 16 months left on my subscription. That's 36x16=576 pounds. No, thank you.

So, I'm thinking about not paying anything at all and let them sell my debt to a debt collection agency and all that good stuff. Now, apparently, if one does not pay the money back, they're labelled as bad payers and are automatically blacklisted from cell phone companies.

Not knowing much about how it works exactly, that's why I'm posting this. Do you think that it'd work internationally ? Because it it doesn't, then I really, really don't care. But if it prevents me from taking a loan in France in a few year's time, it might be a bit of an issue.

TLDR : I'm gonna owe T Mobile 576 pounds. I'm moving back to France. I'm a poor student. Should I pay them ?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    I don't know how the law works between the UK and France but I'd be surprised if you can just run away from a debt within the EU. Your question seems to be if you'll be stuck with bad credit in France because you didn't pay a debt in the UK and I don't know, but I don't know of anything preventing T Mobile or an English debt collecting company selling your debt on to a French company.

A quick googling also led me to this, which makes it seem pretty easy to get a court to order you to pay off a debt within the EU. Personally I wouldn't take the risk; you did after all enter into an agreement and 576 over 1 years isn't an enormous sum of money. Don't take my word for it though, I'm by no means an expert.

dont know anything about international law or much of anything for that matter, but something tells me you might not get away with it, this being within EU and all.

Obscure Node
    576 pounds over 1 and a half year isn't much, true. But for a while, my income will be very, very low. Less than 400 euros, approx 350 pounds per month. Having to spend a tenth of that for absolutely nothing sucks.

That's the good thing about France. We have a law that allows you to break such contracts when you're moving to another country. I wish there was something similar in the UK.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    A friend found himself in a similar situation when he moved back from Vodafone UK to Ireland. They wouldn't let him transfer over to their Irish service and he couldn't get his phone unlocked until the contract was paid. When he tried to go a month or two without paying the bill they where all over him about it.

You might have a silly law in France (seriously a law that lets you break a contract is retarded) but you should pay your debts. You shouldn't have gotten a bill pay phone as a student if you couldn't afford one and you shouldn't be hoping to flog off your debt on a debt collection agency. Take some responsibility for it and learn from your mistake and maybe stop getting bill pay phones, when you're a student without a steady income.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Obscure Node
    I currently have a steady income, but I'm gonna have to quit my job and go back to France to get operated on and recover. In the meantime, I might as well study as it's not too physically demanding. I obviously didn't see that coming.

The only suggestion I can make is to try playing the customer service ladder game. You ring up their customer services and keep asking to speak with their supervisor when they can't help you. The goal is to try and get to someone who can actually help you. I'm not saying you'll get anywhere, as you have entered into a contract, but there's always a chance that you'll get someone sympathetic and a compromise can be reached.

That sucks Ethyls. :(

Good luck with the operation, and getting out of the contract.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    They operate in France, you might be able to get your plan switched to work in France as opposed to the UK
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

I'd mentioned earlier my friend had no luck with that on Vodafone. T-Mobile might be more understanding, but Vodafone were absolutely not going to do it.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    You might have a silly law in France (seriously a law that lets you break a contract is retarded) but you should pay your debts. You shouldn't have gotten a bill pay phone as a student if you couldn't afford one and you shouldn't be hoping to flog off your debt on a debt collection agency. Take some responsibility for it and learn from your mistake and maybe stop getting bill pay phones, when you're a student without a steady income.
    On the contrary, not having such a law sounds really stupid and consumer unfriendly to me. If a party can no longer fulfill its part of the contract (in this case, delivering phone services), why should the other party be forced to pay for it? Having a special right of termination (rough translation of the long, long German compound word, no idea if it's adequate) is fairly standard around here, and moving to another country is a textbook example of when it applies.

Perhaps you can explain then, I don't know the law, but in this case who would pay T-Mobile? Or would T-Mobile be told since the service is no longer being provided to the other party, no more payments are required. Because that doesn't sound fair to T-Mobile. Also T-Mobile can still provide him with service in France, he'd just possibly get charged roaming on everything he does.

Steam ID

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Perhaps you can explain then, I don't know the law, but in this case who would pay T-Mobile? Or would T-Mobile be told since the service is no longer being provided to the other party, no more payments are required. Because that doesn't sound fair to T-Mobile. Also T-Mobile can still provide him with service in France, he'd just possibly get charged roaming on everything he does.
    Pay them for what? If he moves to another country and they terminate his contract, he isn't costing them money anymore, is he?

I don't want to hijack the thread, but that's not how a contract works. He isn't costing them money in the sense of they don't have to support him on their network, but he also is costing them money because he's not paying the rest of his contract. As stated, there's nothing stopping him from using the phone in France apart from possibly his own unwillingness to pay roaming charges (which is understandable).

In the UK and Ireland, phone companies will only terminate your contract if you buy out of it, in other words pay off the remainder of the contract. It's not a hire purchase and it's not a pay as you go, it's a contract, 24 months at X pounds. That's what they value the cost of the phone + the service at. Just like he didn't know he'd be moving to France sooner than expected, neither did they and they're going to be the ones who lose out on money because of it if he was to default or not pay or something.

Steam ID

Network Hub
    The cases in which this applies are very limited (moving to another country is one), and doesn't include defaulting for example. In that case, the company has the right to terminate a contract on their end of course. It sounds rather logical to me when you break it down:

Party A (customer) can no longer uphold their part of the contract because they're broke - Party B (company) can terminate the contract and is of course entitled to payment for the service they've provided up to that point.

Party B can no longer uphold their part of the contract because their service doesn't cover the area where the customer has moved to - Party A is no longer required to pay for the services (but of course has to pay up to that point and may be required to partially pay for things like a cell phone provided by the company).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    1) Play the supervisor card

2) Emphasis the need for major surgery angle (this was unexpected)

3) Offer to pay off 6 months.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I have no idea about UK phone companies, but what people do when they leave Japan before finishing their contract is usually to Get someone else to take it over.

You pay a small fee, both go to the office and fill out a form, and transfer the contract into their name. They get a free phone out of it.

Even if they don't let you officially transfer it, if you have someone you can trust then you might be able to get them to take over your contract and payments.

One other POSSIBLE solution might be to put the contract on hold. I don't know if you can do that, but if you might return to the UK in future, or even just have more income in future, then you might be able to suspend the contract for a few months and then resume it at a later date. I know a few companies here let you do that, but it might be a long shot.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Subatomic View Post
    Pay them for what? If he moves to another country and they terminate his contract, he isn't costing them money anymore, is he?
    Pay them for the phone, because at price he'll have got a phone for free or cheap with the deal, and the cost of that is basically factored in to the monthly fee.

Given you've only had the phone six months and it's a 36 a month contract, it should be a decent phone. Can you not get the phone unlocked and then sell it on ebay? That'd cover at least half the debt surely?

Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Pay them for the phone, because at price he'll have got a phone for free or cheap with the deal, and the cost of that is basically factored in to the monthly fee.

Given you've only had the phone six months and it's a 36 a month contract, it should be a decent phone. Can you not get the phone unlocked and then sell it on ebay? That'd cover at least half the debt surely?
    If you were to pay off the remainder of the contract, they're obliged to give you the unlock code for it, in which case yeah you could sell it on ebay.

Steam ID

Activated Node
    Do they have any contact details for you in France? When you took out the contract did you give them any details of your family address in France, or just your current address in the UK? Do they have any kind of French tax reference? Do you have a particularly unusual name for France? i.e. If you just disappeared back to France - would they have any [realistic] way of finding you?

If not - fuck 'em.