If you’d asked me three days ago, “how many bars in America do you think screen live games of Starcraft II?”, I would have said “none of them”. Then the Wall Street Journal ran a story about Starcraft II matches being shown in sports bars “across the country”. That makes it sound bigger than it is, like some sort of craze sweeping the nation. In reality, as the article later makes clear, there are “more than a dozen” bars screening live games. More than a dozen probably means thirteen but it’s still a lot more than “none of them”. I don’t think this sort of thing happens on these British Isles yet but it did make me think about the different ways we enjoy this grand old hobby.
Read the rest of this entry »
Posts Tagged ‘bars’
By Adam Smith on August 26th, 2011.
Respond to our gibber
- Noodlefighter : “I'd like to see these kickstarter games you're talking about. Why? Adhesive games and both piranha games want single player in their mech games and ...” on Heavy Gear Assault Now Promises Single-Player
- Low Life : “Uh, there are no QTEs in Bioshock Infinite.” on The RPS Bargain Bucket: Extreme Precision
- KDR_11k : “Prone mechs are kinda silly since you could just replace the limbs with wheels then or make them quadrupeds. Humans go prone because we walk ...” on Heavy Gear Assault Now Promises Single-Player
- KDR_11k : “To be fair most mech games tend to approach FPS gameplay with a few extra gauges. Since the line is so blurred I consider Section ...” on Heavy Gear Assault Now Promises Single-Player
- TheBigBookOfTerror : “Mentioning Heavy Gears just makes me think of the game that shared its engine, Interstate 76. Ah, those lovely curved roads and rolling hills. Best ...” on Heavy Gear Assault Now Promises Single-Player