After a number of ventures that took him from an ill-fated N-Gage Red Faction spin-off to an ill-fated Gauntlet sequel, Doom co-creator (with locks that flow like choruses from the mouths of angels) John Romero is eyeing his old-school bread-and-butter. Speaking with Eurogamer, he described his previously hinted at shooter as a “MMO-ish” and “PC first.” I like both of those things. Let us hope his new game is fated to be ill in the colloquial, “that was totally ill” sense and not the one that’s, er, more commonly come to be associated with John Romero.
Posts Tagged ‘daikatana’
By Nathan Grayson on April 6th, 2012.
By Alec Meer on March 12th, 2012.
2012 is, I suspect, going to be a milestone year for old men like some of you and all of us at RPS – one in which old names resurged and old genres returned. Schafer, Fargo, Avellone, Harvey Smith, Molyneux (potentially), XCOM and now, perhaps, one John Romero. The lion-maned, occasionally controversial co-creator of Doom has been away from mainstream games for a while now, focusing on social and mobile titles at the likes of MonkeyStone and Loot Drop, but he recently took to the Twitters to declare “Definitely not! I have plans…” when questioned as to whether he’d entirely abandoned “old school FPS.”
Read the rest of this entry »
By Alec Meer on February 4th, 2009.
Two days ago, I built a mutant snow-panda. Whee! Sadly, I then suffered a phone call announcing that broadband installation in my new house, already long-delayed due to Virgin losing my application, had been pushed back a further eight days because of crystals of cold water on the road. Honestly, what a pathetic country this can be.
So I’ve spent the last week, and will spend the next one, on a miserable wi-fi tour through Burger Kings, friends’ lounges and the 10 square centimetre patch of my kitchen that can access an incredibly flaky paid hotspot. Worse, Steam’s reliably unreliable offline mode pulled a whiny fit, denying me access to all the games I’d cannily downloaded a couple of weeks back. With most of my boxed games in storage, my WSADing options have been strictly limited. In frustration, I pawed to the very bottom of dusty junk-boxes I’ve left unpacked for years. That’s when I saw it.
Read the rest of this entry »
Respond to our gibber
- lameudgha : “Here is it: http://leviathyn~” on The Younger Scrolls: Morblivion – Frontiers
- lameudgha : “Can’t really talk about Bender and TF2 without this: http://www.youtu~” on The RPS Bargain Bucket: Hit Back
- lameudgha : “The modelers of the original versions of the hats get a cut of the profits, too. Everyone (except Kollega) wins!http://www.~” on Robots Need Hats Too: TF2′s Community Created Update
- lameudgha : “A battle royale of Star Treks seems pretty uncontroversial, IMO. http://www.imdb.~” on The Sunday Papers
- lameudgha : “Don’t be silly. It’s called Rising: Revengeance. Metal Gear. Et cetera. http://www.youtu~” on Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance Revenges On PC