Precocious, pondering, prattish younger me used to stand in game shops holding Jane’s Combat Simulation games, marveling at the heft of the box, the grandeur of the screens, imagining Jane at her desk, making a game and being so proud she’d put her name to it. I was stupid. Now I know better: Jane is the second name of military enthusiast Fred T. Jane, and he died in 1916. He didn’t make those games, although given that they were basically manuals made into gaming form, with his love of detailing military hardware he’d probably have enjoyed their elegant air battles and cockpit rendering. As for the latest incarnation, Jane’s Advanced Strike Fighters, being released a full decade after the last one, I’m pondering how he’d react. The video below looks fun, sure, but I’m sensing developers
Evolved GamesTrickstar have taken a bit of a diversion around realism.
Read the rest of this entry »
Posts Tagged ‘evolved games’
By Craig Pearson on February 29th, 2012.
By Jim Rossignol on June 29th, 2010.
Trickstar Games has risen from the ashes of Transmission Games (developers of fun shooty plane games Heroes of the Pacific and Heroes Over Europe) and they’re intent on producing more aerial combat, this time with JASF (Jane’s Advanced Strike Fighters), which will be published by Evolved Games. It does sound pretty fancy, with 2-4 man co-op for the campaign, and 16-player online multiplayer, with a bunch of different contemporary aircraft, all hosted in a 65,000km terrain. The site claims that the game will hit this summer, but I guess we’ll wait and see.
By Jim Rossignol on August 3rd, 2009.
Bombastic strategy-FPS hybrid Raven Squad is set for release on the 11th of August, and to celebrate that fact Evolved Games have released a cheese-tastic movie-style trailer, which sets the scene for this unusual take on the jungle man-shoot with some troubling dialogue. There might be a top-down strategy tactics and co-op cleverness in here, but for now they’re focusing on the explosions, of which there are many. The game proper looks moderately entertaining, thanks to the way the action swings between strategy and twitch run-n-gun, so perhaps we’ll take a closer look when it hits. In the meantime, go examine the action with your eyes.
Read the rest of this entry »
Respond to our gibber
- Listlurker : “Yeah. I like good shooter games, and I like Plants Versus Zombies. but I really _don't_ need the latter to become the former. Variety is ...” on PopCap On Plants Vs Zombies: Garden Warfare
- MadTinkerer : “The cliffhanger is I WANT TO KILL THE GODDAMN PHYCHIC SPACE BUGS TO AVENGE ELI'S MURDER BUT VALVE ARE MAKING ME WAIT. When I finally ...” on Of Course Valve Are Working On Half-Life 3, Now Shush
- Muzman : “It's gauche in our world to talk numbers, because, you know, numbers tend to undermine impressions of success people like to put out and numbers ...” on Gunpoint’s Creator Is Now Fabulously Wealthy, Still Nice
- InnerPartisan : “You forgot to put scare quotes around "games".” on Telling Tales: Molyneux Vs Vanaman
- Listlurker : “I remember that, even before the buyout, people were pointing out and joking that EA seemed to have the need to "shooter-ize" every franchise they ...” on PopCap On Plants Vs Zombies: Garden Warfare