So here’s an odd thing. Cheyenne Mountain, the developers of the Stargate Worlds MMO, are about to release a team-based Stargate-themed shooter, Stargate: Resistance, via Firesky studio. Stargate Worlds, you might remember, has had extreme difficulties with funding, development, and all that stuff. Which kind of begs the question as to why resources are being poured into a (frankly not great-looking) shooter instead. Well, it seems that the company want to offer something to fans, and this is a kind of “look we really are doing something with the Stargate license” offering intended to appease the hungry Stargateers (Stargatians? Stargaties? Stargatistas?) Anyway, the game is out February 10th, on digital download, and the trailer is below.
Read the rest of this entry »
Posts Tagged ‘Firesky’
By Jim Rossignol on February 4th, 2010.
By John Walker on August 28th, 2008.
The best bit about the Stargate movie (no, seriously, there is a best bit) is when all the soldiers are running around the pillars under some Egyptianesque building. Every time they get to a pillar they press their backs against it and “cha-chunk” their big rifles. Next pillar, “cha-chunk”. Pillar after that, “cha-chunk”. The amount of live ammunition lying all over the floor in that room must have been a hazard. And that is definitely the best bit in that film. Apart from trying to guess if that baddy is a boy or a girl. Fortunately this is unlikely to have an influence on the MMO Stargate Worlds, for which there is a trailer below.
By Jim Rossignol on July 26th, 2008.
Blimey, it sure is convention season. There’s a whole load of other stuff coming out of Comi-Con in San Diego (where our own Mr Gillen currently pimps his second career) and one of the most interesting bits of info-fluff is this first look at StarGate Worlds. An MMO with machineguns? And people apparently using cover? Stealth? Beautiful sci-fi worlds? Okay we were expecting that last bit, but still: stuff!
By Jim Rossignol on May 1st, 2008.
I have to admit I never quite saw the appeal of the StarGate TV series, but there’s no accounting for taste. It is clear, however, that the gates make the perfect fiction for a science fiction MMO. It’s a fair bet that StarGate World’s creators Cheyenne Mountain are feeling a little nervy in the light of Tabula Rasa’s high-profile lack of success, so perhaps the huge TV show fanbase will be help them along a bit. And, y’know, let’s hope the game is fun too.
Anyway: there’s a beta coming up. “A game is nothing without players. We’re fired up to finally get our game in the hands of the community,” said Dan Elggren, Stargate Worlds studio head. “We’re at the point where we need external testers to take Stargate Worlds to the finish line. Our devoted fans have helped guide us for more than two years through our forums. Together, we’re going to craft a balanced, polished, and most of all, fun game.” I hope he’s right. And I’ll hopefully see you lot in there.
Respond to our gibber
- Canisa : “This looks like it could be an interesting concept. Hopefully they won't forget about Mary Read, Ching Shih, Sayyida Al Hurra or Sadie the Goat ...” on Masters Of A Pirate World: Caribbean!
- trooperwally : “Allow me to test then, which of these gets your interest? A) Mount and blade with the requirement to complete in game self assessment tax ...” on Masters Of A Pirate World: Caribbean!
- Harlander : “At least one of us is definately having trouble detecting sarcasm. I'm not sure if it's you, me, or both...” on OK, Seriously, Are They Going To Kill Call Of Duty Dog?
- thrymr : “Uhm... this article doesn't tell me anything... because i can't watch video's with sound at work. Would someone mind to tell me if there is ...” on Day’z Rocket Answers Many Questions
- Abtacha : “GOG is also running a sale right now (until July 5) with pretty much everything 50% off and daily deals 80% or more. I guess ...” on The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Gallery Is So Pretty