Not all empires are built in intergalactic space, you know. Some are built in history, and that’s the subject of this latest interview: matters pertaining to the latest strategic behemoth from the British studio, Creative Assembly. We chart some of the major differences between this and previous games, with particular attention paid to the turn-based campaign map and the radical changes brought about by the new game’s battle engine. Crucially, Empire: Total War drags the Total War series a couple of centuries closer to the modern age. The 18th century setting is one of ranked, musket-heavy land armies, rip-roaring sea battles, complex revolutionary politics, and colonial ambition. It’s these two elements, as well as a desire to reflect some of the social changes (hiring generals rather than relying on hereditary feudal heirs, for example) of the 18th century, that motivate the designs implemented by Creative Assembly’s lead on the project, James Russell. We were lucky enough to be able to put some questions to Russell. You can read his rather detailed responses below.
Read the rest of this entry »
Posts Tagged ‘james russell’
By Jim Rossignol on October 13th, 2008.
Respond to our gibber
- fish99 : “It's fairly typical for the mobile marketplace. Angry Birds for instance is F2P/ad supported on mobile, but pay once on PC.” on GODUS Publishing Via F2P Mobile Distro, PC Unmentioned
- 12inchPlasticToy : “They're locked in storage under entry "Vintage reboot", to be rediscovered when new children are bred into the world as new customers. Perhaps it's the ...” on Call Of Duty: Ghosts RPS EXCLUSIVE Dogshot Gallery
- ResonanceCascade : “Sounds like your vision is augmented. You can turn that off, it's listed as "post processing."” on Call Of Duty: Ghosts RPS EXCLUSIVE Dogshot Gallery
- Phasma Felis : “RPS is probably the best gaming news site on all the internets, has the best commenter culture, and some of the worst comment code I've ...” on The Hawkeneye Initiative: Meteor’s Sexy Poster Mishap
- 12inchPlasticToy : “Yawn Mower 2: the Gardening.” on Call Of Duty: Ghosts RPS EXCLUSIVE Dogshot Gallery