Jonatan ‘Cactus‘ Soderstrom is one of the most prolific and interesting indie developers currently working. During the IGF judging sessions I was fortunate enough to play an early version of Mondo Nation, the compilation of Cactus’ series of bizarre, unsettling FPS puzzle games. These games are, I would suggest, about as close as videogames have come to the weirder elements of a David Lynch production. Cactus cites Mr Lynch, along with plenty of other esoteric influences, in the interview below. If you want to set the scene for yourself, and get a little flavour of Cactus’ mad humour, then perhaps you should play some of his games before reading onwards. Mondo Agency, Psychosomnium, or SeizureDome are all good places to start.
Posts Tagged ‘lo-fi minds’
By Jim Rossignol on February 11th, 2009.
By Jim Rossignol on March 25th, 2008.
My favourite indie soloist, Cactus, is now part of a duo, Lo-Fi Minds, and they’re working on a new platform adventure called Brain-Damaged Toon Underworld. They’ve just released a brief demo for the game, which will be out in full shortly. (And that’s probably days rather than weeks if Cactus’ usual turnaround rate applies here.) I’ve also just noticed that Cactus has created a 40mb (2.something Peggle) compilation set of his previous games. That’s a great place to start if you’re unfamiliar with his insane lo-fi coding.
Respond to our gibber
- antoniodamala : “Exactly what i feel with most these retro guys. :/ The sad thing is that i love the dungeon keeper genre, i played only the ...” on Will You Dig The War For The Overworld Trailer?
- tentaclesex : “If you're hosting an event, maybe he would hook you up with a copy. Either that, or build a Winnitron. Or, go to cool parties.” on Live Free, Play Hard: Then Mystical Snake Shit Happened
- RaiderJoe : “Wow, they're getting smarter. They're… adapting!” on Call Of Duty: Ghosts RPS EXCLUSIVE Dogshot Gallery
- Syphus : “I don't really have all that much to contribute here, but I just wanted to say that this is still my favorite column on the ...” on Cardboard Children: Change Or Die
- ClawMark : “Yeah my dropbox account got pretty hammered, a few other sites re-uploaded it, so here's one of the non-intrusive ones: http://bartbonte~” on Fin: Here Are The ‘Minimal’ Ludum Dare Winners