That headline from the awkward videogame headline generator, there. What it means is this: the latest Make Something Unreal competition, which had a theme of ‘Mendelian Inheritance: genetics and genomics’ was won by a game developed in UDK (obviously) by ten-man Swedish team Dead Shark Triplepunch. They’ve bagged themselves full licences for the engine, and some hardware. The game, Epigenesis, is a multiplayer future sports game in which the players plant seeds in the map to alter the environment of play each time they score. They’re calling it “a potential e-sport”.
Posts Tagged ‘Make Something Unreal Live’
By Jim Rossignol on April 8th, 2013.
By Jim Rossignol on October 3rd, 2012.
This year’s Make Something Unreal Live is a competition “open to teams of six to 10 members consisting of current full-time university students.” The grand prize of full Unreal engine licences tasks entrants with making something from scratch using the Unreal engine, with the theme of “Our Mendelian inheritance: genetics and genomics.” The full brief is here. The reason for this theme is that the competition is now backed by The Wellcome Trust, the charitable foundation which promotes scientific ambition in the UK and around the world. Wellcome’s Dr. Daniel Glaser said of the alliance with Epic: “The Wellcome Trust is committed to using games and gaming culture as a means of engaging people with science, working to network the talent and knowledge of scientists and developers and offering a range of funding schemes.”
Science and games, together again: that’s an inter-disciplinary fist-bump, right there.
Respond to our gibber
- Harlander : “It could be considered a personality flaw, but describing something as "Mount and Blade with x" is the surest way to get my interest in ...” on Masters Of A Pirate World: Caribbean!
- Slurpy : “My first MMO was Final Fantasy XI, and I honestly thought it was the worst game I had ever played. Then I played WoW, and ...” on Neverwinter Diary: Tales From The Sword Coast Part 3
- gschmidl : “Yes, it's still the same, including a lack of punctuation on all dialogue. It's just sloppy and lazy all over. On the other hand, being ...” on A Grim Couple Of Hours With Akaneiro: Demon Hunter
- roselynne : “This is more great than one I know in some game sites.. I hope izombiegames.com will have the same ideas.” on Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery Headed For PC
- Moraven : “Taking all the cards equal or better than what is expected in the Xbone and PS4. 20.19% is the total % from all the cards ...” on PC FIFA 14 Will Be Previous-Gen Version