Imagine a game where the world is yours to reshape. Now imagine it becomes famous, and everyone knows what it is. It appears on the TV, confusing news presenters, and there are conventions devoted to it. That game is Second Life. You thought it was going to be Minecraft, didn’t you? Hah! I’m like Derren Brown, but hairier. But it’s okay, as there’s a very good reason for confusing you like that. The next game from Second Life makers Linden Labs, Patterns, is clearly inspired by Minecraft. As I found out when I played it.
Read the rest of this entry »
Posts Tagged ‘Patterns’
By Craig Pearson on December 5th, 2012.
By Nathan Grayson on September 20th, 2012.
You know, when you think about it, Second Life and freeform voxel builders like Minecraft really aren’t all that different. I mean, both offer players tremendous creative freedom – which they generally mold into either a) likenesses of their favorite TV/movie objects or b) unspeakable, physics-defying flesh horrors even your greatest nightmares wouldn’t dare conjure up. So I suppose it kind of makes sense that Second Life creator Linden Labs would try its hand at an easier-on-the-eyes craft-’em-up. Maybe? A little? Granted, Patterns does at least look quite attractive – if a little familiar.
Respond to our gibber
- MOKKA : “Well that was suprisingly easy.” on The RPS Bargain Bucket: Hit Back
- Upper Class Twit : “Holy Jebus! A Ratchet and Clank fan? On a PC master race website? I thought I was the only one. That said though, I don't ...” on Robots Need Hats Too: TF2′s Community Created Update
- Doomsayer : “Most play the game because its fun and super-accessible~ Everyone else buys hats.” on Robots Need Hats Too: TF2′s Community Created Update
- jacketvl20 : “7... Your article is here, the feeling of a mere individual can gains more.Let these people from every corner of the world, even in the ...” on Podcast Infiltration: RPS in OLL
- Don Reba : “The TV show is pretty alright. Not nearly as satisfying as Firefly, but at least it scratches the same spot.” on The Price Of Defiance: Trion Worlds Hit By Big Layoffs