A demo for the recently-released naval combat game from Akella and Battlefront, PT Boats, turned up while we were off-air. You can grab it here for a price of 838mb. Battlefront report that: “The demo includes 3 airplanes, 16 naval units, 3 tutorial missions, as well as a demo campaign playable from both the Allied and the Axis points of view.” So that sounds interesting. Recentish game footage posted below.
Posts Tagged ‘PT-Boats’
By Jim Rossignol on January 4th, 2010.
By Alec Meer on September 22nd, 2007.
Still trying to find something that will make the horrendous amount of money you spent on Vista and a DirectX 10 graphics card worthwhile? Can’t help, sorry. At least not until Crysis.
However, the 250Mb of downloadabliness here may very briefly make you feel ever so slightly better about yourself and your loose-clasped whore of a wallet. It’s a DX10 rolling demo/benchmark of Dubya Dubya Two naval sim PT Boats: Knights of the Sea and, actually, it’s really quite pretty. Good water, good boats. Job done. Close your eyes when the straight-outta-PS1 sailors appear though, or you’ll start cryring again. While it’s not the heartbreaking beauty of, say, a UT 2003 landscape, I still had one of those increasingly frequent “hang on – games can actually look like this now?” moments of mild future-shock.
About the game itself? Don’t know much I’m afraid, as in practice this is the kind of thing that often gives me the creeping fear, ashamed of the inadequacies of my own patience and ability to think tactically. It claims to be heavy on the action though, and also lets you jump between first person cannons-a-go-go and a third person strategic view that lets you scoot multiple boats off to where you want them.
The screenshot above, incidentally, is of the DX9 version of the game, as DX10 is a bugger to screenshot unless you can run the game in a window, and this one won’t let me. Actual benchmark’s much juicer, honest.
You may now return to your scheduled yelling at Vista that it’s fat, lazy and worthless.
Respond to our gibber
- hamburger_cheesedoodle : “I don't think PGI deserves as much dislike as they are getting, but really, they have handled very many of the balance decisions in the ...” on Hit The Mechs: Fields Of War
- Henke : “GOOD! 3 kills.” on A Grim Couple Of Hours With Akaneiro: Demon Hunter
- hamburger_cheesedoodle : “Let's face it, Rock Paper STF-3F would be more effective. I wish your playtimes weren't so late in my timezone. I need people to play ...” on Hit The Mechs: Fields Of War
- Shodex : “As a Mechwarrior fan I second this. The only thing cooler than playing as a bunch of little mechs zipping around doing some scouting while ...” on Hit The Mechs: Fields Of War
- Shodex : “I much prefer western mechs to Japanese ones, and I'm a huge anime watcher. I like that western mechs are more practical and feel like ...” on Hit The Mechs: Fields Of War