John passed me the link to forthcoming Realm Explorer earlier today (through a special hole in the wall) and I studied it. I too, wasn’t convinced. Like Mr Walker, I wasn’t certain that this one had the right stuff. The idea was interesting – no doubt interesting enough for its own RPS post – and Realm Explorer looks like the kind of thing a nerd, introspective man like can get behind: sandbox, procedurally generated worlds, with RPG-like structure, multiplayer, mining, exploration, and all that good stuff. But there’s something about the mandatory Kickstarter pitch that underwhelms me. Sorry guys, but this unchallenging pastoral mix of Wurm, Minecraft, and old-fashioned RPG fantasy doesn’t quite get me on the hook. This could be one of the next wave of builder worlds, but something tells me it won’t be the next breakout success. Ultimately, though, you will decide, InternetBrain. It is in your hands.
Posts Tagged ‘RealmSource’
By Jim Rossignol on May 14th, 2012.
Respond to our gibber
- Blue_Lemming : “1 hour 30 mins later, i agree ol' pete seems like he genuinely loves making games, I haven't played the walking dead and i've never ...” on Telling Tales: Molyneux Vs Vanaman
- Seafort : “I'll wait a few weeks/months for this Assassin's Creed. The last one wasn't that fun and I was actually looking forward to the open wilderness, ...” on Shock: AC IV PC-Bound ‘A Few Weeks After’ Consoles
- DiamondDog : “I love how you talk about reason and logic in one post and then as soon as it suits your viewpoint, out comes the tinfoil ...” on Shock: AC IV PC-Bound ‘A Few Weeks After’ Consoles
- MichaelPalin : “Same with what Microsoft was going to do. So yes, you are right, but it's much more difficult to pressure publisher by publisher than pressuring ...” on Shock: AC IV PC-Bound ‘A Few Weeks After’ Consoles
- Seafort : “Greenman Gaming :) http://www.green~” on Company Of Heroes 2 Open Beta Got A Teeny Bit Longer