If you can remember as far back as last year, then you might recall the fantasy galleon-crewing game, Spocean. At the time it was being developed in UDK, but it has since moved over to Unity, and now even has an alpha demo that you can play. The team sent word that after their initial reveal they’d been forced the shelve the game due to financial obligations, and had aimed to return to it. Happily, they report: “A few months ago, we found ourselves in a position to do exactly that, and we’ve been working like crazy people ever since (there are only two of us). The entire project has been ported to Unity, the net code has been re-written to support fleet battles with multiple ship types, and we’ve overcome a number of technical hurdles that had previously inhibited a player’s seamless, simultaneous awareness of inner/outer ship environments.”
Posts Tagged ‘Spocean’
By Jim Rossignol on November 1st, 2012.
By Jim Rossignol on August 25th, 2011.
I’ve not had a chance to get on the Spocean beta yet, but I wanted to get the UDK-powered project up here because it looks fantastic, and could hardly be more RPSy if it tried. It’s a game of team-based galleon-crewing warfare. Built in UDK, the game is – according to creators Woodley Games – a “woodpunk” simulation of “Napoleonic-era naval warfare from a first person perspective.” And it looks rather beautiful with it s gentle caricatures of ship-to-ship conflict. “Teams start on two separate ships, fire cannon shot at each other, and then try to board when they have the advantage,” explains the FAQ. “THEN they murder each other.”
Respond to our gibber
- bonerjams3000 : “Dark Souls currently unavailable on Amazon now, Darth Vader NOOOOO incoming :(” on The RPS Bargain Bucket: Hit Back
- LordOfPain : “I actually found the story behind Incredipede to be one of naivete and sweeping generalisations. If I were being uncharitable, I might even say Western ...” on The Sunday Papers
- Hahaha : “amusing that it shows what the industry thinks it's customers want and it's the opposite to what RPS and the old commenters want to push ...” on Huh: Steam Adds Trading Cards, Profile XP System
- bluebomberman : “Jim, I find it really odd that you would be so hopeful for better critical takes on MMOs. There's really little about MMOs as constituted ...” on The Sunday Papers
- Curundir : “Grammar-Nazi's? Where do I sign-up? :)” on The Younger Scrolls: Morblivion – Frontiers