Posts Tagged ‘steve purcell’
By John Walker on March 9th, 2008.
During GDC, gaming uber-blog Joystiq had the rather splendid idea of asking adventure game developers to solve their own “obnoxious” adventure-style puzzle. The victims were Ron Gilbert, Steve Purcell, Mike Stemmle, Eric Wolpaw, and Ragnar Tørnquist. Each solves the challenge – getting past a robot bear to enter a cave – in their own distinct style, and they’re all worth a read. And then along comes Tim Schafer.
Taking the challenge a little more… not seriously, but intensely than anyone else, Schafer’s approach is to treat the challenge as a text adventure, emailing Joystiq his commands as they find themselves having to work very hard to keep up. The results are excellent. Here’s a taste:
>get tiny guards
You scoop up the tiny guards in one motion and deposit them safely into your pocket.
>get tiny me
Are you sure you want to do that? You may want to save first.
>give rubber chicken to tiny me
You clumsily try to hand over the rubber chicken, but only end up crushing your tiny self beneath a mountain of artificial poultry. Whoops.
Respond to our gibber
- Aysir : “The beta's been promising so far. A lot better than the first attempt - and enough there to make it stand out above the general ...” on Final Fantasy XIV Rebirthing Its Realm In August
- warthog2k : “I would imagine that the interim 'fix' is to chuck more RAM onto the Graphics Card. Longer term, I would bet we'll see a move ...” on Surprise: Msoft Not Keen On Porting Xbox One Exclusives
- Lord Custard Smingleigh : “The world of Sir is a chilling look into the dystopian future after a collapse of British civilisation caused by the unprecedented fall of two ...” on Sir, You Are Hiking In The Mountains
- Consumatopia : “Do you ever say something non-idiotic, Grape Flavor? I don't want to destroy the hobby, I want to save it from the industry. It's the ...” on Unlearning To Share: The Industry’s Hatred Of Generosity
- paddymaxson : “Fuck 'em. Their exclusives are always wank anyway Halo, GoW, Fable...anything else? I guess Forza is good if you like cars.” on Surprise: Msoft Not Keen On Porting Xbox One Exclusives