I should probably disclose that I’ve known the developer of Gunpoint, PC Gamer’s Tom Francis, for a few years now, having worked with him on that magazine in the dark times before RPS. And that means playing Gunpoint has a peculiar flavour to it, for me. I’m aware of the kinds of games that have had a significant influence on Francis – such as the platformer N, Deus Ex, Hitman, Splinter Cell, and so on – and I can see these sorts of influences displayed right on the surface of Gunpoint. We are each of us our interests, of course, and I am sure this kind of thing is true of all indie developers, but seeing how someone’s brain remixes and recompiles the stuff they love has never been quite so clear to me as when playing the post-IGF build of this intricate platformer.
Posts Tagged ‘Suspicious Developments’
By Jim Rossignol on March 30th, 2012.
Respond to our gibber
- Shooop : “Nice to see the Techland marketing dept is doing their job.” on Call Of Juarez: Gunslinger Trailer #23134
- Rindan : “It looks interesting because it looks like open world survival with construction elements. No one has managed to do it well yet in anything that ...” on Hammer Time: The Dead Linger’s Barricade Update
- tetracycloide : “Why?” on Coil Up With A Good Game: Teslagrad Footage
- Sizer : “As an avid user of nVidia surround, I can tell you that I did not miss it while playing this game. The story is a ...” on Call Of Juarez: Gunslinger Trailer #23134
- Sarissofoi : “No more talking heads. Show some arts or gameplay not some talking heads. Enough. I have enough of it.” on Making It With Science: A TUG Interview