Interesting times for racing games, what with the fantastical feature sets of Blur and Split/Second, and then open-worldiness descending this summer in the form of Test Drive Unlimited 2 (and, I suppose, in the form of the Need For Speed MMO). Eden Games have sent word that there’s a limited sign up for the beta phase of the new Test Drive Unlimited, although no details on exactly what that entails. Presumably, getting to play some of the game early, and for free, which is reason enough to take a nose. And the game is looking pretty interesting: the same drop-in open world island as before, and – unusually – the ability to get out of the car and walk around. What’s that good for in a racing game? Epic, pointless journeys perhaps? Maybe… Anyway, looks like sign-ups require Atari.com registration. Yay.
Posts Tagged ‘Test Drive Unlimited 2’
By Jim Rossignol on May 28th, 2010.
By John Walker on May 4th, 2010.
News of Test Drive Unlimited 2 has caught me by surprise, despite its having been announced in March. I’m so good at my job. The original, released on PC in 2007, was an unfairly overlooked driving game set on the Hawaiian island Oʻahu, with 1,000 miles of roads to race about on. What made it so interesting was the population of this island: other players. It was so casual about being an MMO – not shouting and screaming about it, but rather just letting you take part in the many races available, and then on a whim see another car coming toward you, flash your lights at it, and then begin a frenzied race with them for glory. And for money. So much money. Below is the first-look trailer of the sequel, along with Game Trailers’ interview with senior producer, Nour Polloni.
Respond to our gibber
- Jim Dandy : “'Uh, actually, man, creators TOTALLY FUCKING DO get to set “arbitrary” compensation schemes at the expense of your “freedom” to have whatever you want, when ...” on Unlearning To Share: The Industry’s Hatred Of Generosity
- roryok : “Ooooooooh industrial ruins oooooooooooh” on Sir, You Are Hiking In The Mountains
- Ultra Superior : “Orchestra conductor running on high heels. Classical.” on The Soaring ’20s: Contrast Platforms On The Shadows
- roryok : “Yes! Yes...” on Sir, You Are Hiking In The Mountains
- roryok : “The Pheasants are Revolting!” on Sir, You Are Hiking In The Mountains