Would David Fincher’s Se7en be any better if the revelation at the end was that the box contained a pile of indie games for almost no money at all? It would certainly be less psychologically damaging to Brad Pitt to discover the Lovecraft inspired platformer Eversion in there instead of (a box of fluffy kittens for sale – spoiler ed). And while he lived happily ever after he could think back to that lovely day when he and Morgan Freeman and Kevin Spacey all hung out in a dusty field playing indie games. That’s the power of cheap indie games, people: they make you forget someone killed loads of people in really horrible ways.
Read the rest of this entry »
Posts Tagged ‘the 4th wall’
By Craig Pearson on December 7th, 2012.
By Nathan Grayson on August 15th, 2012.
If you ask me, we’re in a new golden age for horror games. Between heavy hitters like Dead Space and less costly efforts like Lone Survivor, Amnesia, Slender, and Asylum, we’ve got enough things going bump in the night that I’m surprised they haven’t stepped on each others’ toes and ended up in some cringe-worthy slapstick shenanigans yet. But that’s sort of the problem, as well: it’s just the same thematic beats, time and time again. Haunted houses, dark rooms, spooky forests, the undead, etc. But as human beings, we fear the unknown. We fear difference. Weird shit. So then, who better to design a truly bizarre take on horror than the folks who brought us the equally-bizarre-but-for-entirely-different reasons Vidiot Game? And thus, The 4th Wall was born. This game is basically brilliant. After the break, I will tell you why.
Respond to our gibber
- neofit : “I am not surprised either. Trion's games are the only ones that "finished", e.g got to top level and saw all the non-repetitious dungeon content, ...” on The Price Of Defiance: Trion Worlds Hit By Big Layoffs
- KenTWOu : “Also, no engine has ever nailed that “immersive” feel like the Dark Engine... It's so obvious that you're wrong that I don't want to give ...” on Pre-Thief: Dark Camelot Footage
- soldant : “Also it helps to disguise the uncomfortable truth that a lot of gameplay mechanics in action games are just quicktime events without a big "PRESS ...” on Telltale On Wolf Among Us, Following The Walking Dead
- flipflop mcbop : “yep I just bought the bundle specifically for the Bloodbowl discount. You need to pay minimum of $5 for the bundle to get Bloodbowl, and ...” on The RPS Bargain Bucket: Hit Back
- Kitsunin : “Sorry, I only said Spongebob because he already did :9 How about I say replace that with Animaniacs and we call it a day?” on SuperMegaFistbump: An Adventure Time Game!