Offensive Combat is a quite a silly thing. Where other shooters clamber aboard Call of Duty’s coattails and ride cheerily into the gaping, graybrown maw of thematic singularity, it whips out banana people, eyeball people, and… basically a lot of things that shouldn’t be people, but are anyway. That said, its pop-culture-laden zaniness doesn’t always hit the mark. Case in point: “Pwn”-ing people is a game mechanic. Still, though, gaming’s broswertopia tomorrowland frontier doesn’t have much in the way of quality shooters, and Offensive Combat’s taking the next step in gunning for that throne with an open beta.
Posts Tagged ‘U4iA’
By Nathan Grayson on September 29th, 2012.
By Nathan Grayson on July 10th, 2012.
Recently, I got the chance to play a few matches of upcoming browser-based F2P multiplayer shooter Offensive Combat, and all told, I had a nice enough time. I ran, I jumped, I beat a man to death with a hunk of ham. Everything – a basic array of weapons, modes, experience unlocks, etc – functioned pretty much exactly as it was supposed to. Problem is, that’s all it did. Even the game’s “zany” sense of humor came across as relentlessly calculated, seeking refuge in the evergreen arms of “pwning” (an actual game mechanic in which you dance over an opponent’s body for extra points), mash-ups of tried-and-true game settings, and pop culture references. U4iA CEO and former Call of Duty co-founder Dusty Welch, meanwhile, has no qualms with admitting that his latest project is steeped in business trends and careful analysis first and foremost. But he also adamantly contends that this style of game development doesn’t compromise creativity.
By Nathan Grayson on May 17th, 2012.
When I saw the title “Offensive Combat,” I got really excited. Would I be offending my foes until their poor hearts became physically incapable of taking it any further – relentlessly barraging them with all manner of incredibly personal insults and hatefully ignorant comments about the things they hold dear? No, as it turns out. I’ll be doing nothing of the sort. But I will be shooting them! I suppose that’s a fairly offensive action, isn’t it?
Respond to our gibber
- Skabooga : “Admittedly, I really dug that voiceover. Subtly chilling, without at all overdoing it, while still being absolutely delightful to listen to.” on Lost Spirits of Kael Is A Peculiar Thing
- amateurviking : “I guess my point was that in contrast to music/typing games which can only be completed one way, super hexagon lets you go left or ...” on Telltale On ‘Weird’ Experiments, Revisiting Comedy
- SpiceTheCat : “It might be a word but it's still the wrong word, dammit.” on The Price Of Defiance: Trion Worlds Hit By Big Layoffs
- shrewdlogarithm : “Rift's problem is that it's a bit generic but under that lack of imagination lies a simply excellent MMO - probably the best MMO there ...” on The Price Of Defiance: Trion Worlds Hit By Big Layoffs
- FriendlyFire : “I have to say that reading the wiki spoiled the game for me, and not because it told me how to be more efficient. I ...” on Greenlit: Game Dev Tycoon, RIOT, More