Atari’s remake of classic weird-arcade home console game Yars’ Revenge is now available. The original pecking fly vs forcefield thing game has been reimagined as an Anime-style on-rails shooter. Why that is, no one seems to know. But there it is.
Posts Tagged ‘yars’ revenge’
By Jim Rossignol on April 26th, 2011.
By Jim Rossignol on February 3rd, 2011.
We can reveal that it is an on-rails shooter because, well, that is what is revealed in the art-trailer which Atari have just released. That trailer, as is the fate of all trailers, is entombed below this post for you to watch. It talks about how the super-abstract shield-egg-fly weirdness of the original has been re-imagined as an Anime-inspired shooter, with a touch of Avatar. Yar was a fly in the original, and has “evolved” into a cute girl flying a robot in this. I know, it’s as if the original game was basically irrelevant to what they are doing here.
Read the rest of this entry »
By Jim Rossignol on November 16th, 2010.
Have you ever actually played Yars’ Revenge? You can play it here. Of all the games to remake, Atari choose that? A classic, perhaps, but it nevertheless boggles the mind. Big Download got the scoop: “This new version is the first game that’s due to be released by Killspace Entertainment… Its remake of Yars Revenge will have a Japanese anime art style as it tells the story of a nameless Yar who was previously brainwashed by the Qotile empire. Now having broken from their control, the Yar battles back against its former masters. Look for massive aerial battles, multiple endings and local support for two player co-op.”
It’s out in early 2011 for digital download. I have posted both the new trailer and the original TV ad. Compare and contrast and wtf.
Read the rest of this entry »
By Jim Rossignol on January 31st, 2009.
We usually avoid posting random pre-historic retro stuff, but I have a soft spot for ultra-weird proto-shooter Yars’ Revenge. Peerless gaming esoterica journal Offworld dug up this 1982 Atari 2600 TV ad that somehow manages to capture just how profoundly sinister Yars’ Revenge actually is. The bizarre setup and constant droning of the game means it’s quite a unsettling experience, and subsequently it often goes forgotten in retro musings. I’m amazed it was actually advertised on TV. The commercial goes on to have a monologue about Asteroids and Star Raiders too. Have a look at this and then stare out of the window for a moment, while considering how much modern advertising fails us. Clickwards for the ad.
Respond to our gibber
- Eliijahh : “I've played Eggnogg with my father and we've been having fun like two children. BTW looking at the videos about nidhogg, eggnogg looks much more ...” on Live Free, Play Hard: Then Mystical Snake Shit Happened
- Convolvulus : “Drakensang: The River of Time, prequel to the game in this bundle (though released afterward), is currently on sale at Amazon US for $2.99, which ...” on The RPS Bargain Bucket: Hit Back
- Convolvulus : “Insofar as they're compelled to do things that customers approve of in order to keep receiving money, yes, Gaben and friends are obligated to resolve ...” on Robots Need Hats Too: TF2′s Community Created Update
- Sigvatr : “You stopped playing a fun game because of some political drama? Jeez, aren't you just a douche.” on Robots Need Hats Too: TF2′s Community Created Update
- Xyvik : “No, 35% is an excellent deal as an author. And it's an excellent deal just about anywhere in the creative community where you make your ...” on Robots Need Hats Too: TF2′s Community Created Update