The RPS guide to staging your very own Sputnik Commemorative Event.
You will need:
– Five minutes of preparation time.
– One copy of freeware space flight simulator Orbiter.
– One copy of the equally free Project R-7 add-on.
– Appropriate sounds (I recommend Bach, Glass, or this).
– Vodka (optional).
Got all that? OK, now…
1. Unzip Orbiter, adding high-res Earth textures if you can be arsed.
2. Add the contents of the Project R-7 zip.
3. Commence soundtrack. Wet whistle.
4. Start Orbiter and choose screen resolution.
5. Select ‘Project R-7 > R7 and PS-1 (day)’ from the scenario list.
6. That’s it. You’re done. The autopilot is running leaving you free to sit back and savour the most important event in human history since Douglas Dundee’s invention of cake in 1683.
(Use T + R to gently accelerate/decelerate time and CTRL+F1 to choose camera target)