This Device Has Been Modified

Our secret mole inside Valve has pointed out this song to us:

It’s by Victims of Science, which is an excellent name to be sure, and makes a nice track 2 for our just made up unofficial Portal album. Just need tracks 3 to 12 now.

1. Kast says:

First thoughts (still listening): Very Portal.
    Nice reverb…
    “Hello!” We’ve got GLaDOS and bits of her and turrets and I think some new material in here. (?)
    Oh the memories… the memories. *sob*
    “Weighted storage cube… destroyed.” NOOOOOOO!!!!
    Got a good beat. Not ususally a fan of techno or whatever but I could find myself listening to this.

If you enjoy this, consider getting the soundtrack to Introversion’s Darwinia. Totally atmospheric. I believe they have just released the soundtrack to DEFCON but I haven’t listened to that yet.

2. Chris R says:

Lol, the song is kinda cool… has some cool parts. But the original portal song is still the best, ;)

3. Andrew says:

God that’s weird.

4. Matthew Craig says:

This is the sound of throwing shapes at the sperm bank.

And the last thing you should be doing at the manfat farm is throwing…anything.

(and in less grim mental imagery, back at the start of the summer, I had a pleasant trip down memory lane listening to some ripping tunes over at AmigaRemix.com. And now I’m listening to GODS remixes and praying for good Turrican. Damn you, Nostalgia!)

//\Oo/\\
    (I mean, it’s not a bad track, by any means. But it kept saying “sample:” what else am I meant to think of?!)

5. Thelps says:

Well, I thought it was pretty cool, although a little incoherent on the melody front.

A friend of mine produces techno music, and I’ve been meaning to make him sit down and play through Portal for this exact reason. The sample potential of GLaDOS for electronic music is huge.

6. John (Not Walker) says:

I think I’m going to have to get Reason out and make a feeble imitation. GLaDOS would make a good frontAI to just about anything at this point.

7. Wes says:

The bigger thing at work here is this game is attracting viral marketing and bringing in people outside the normal kill-all-fps-shooters Valve has in their regular stable of customers. I say give it a few weeks and you’ll see things like this and much more from fans, artists, and other folks. It’s going to be fun to watch this “thing” happen.

8. roBurky says:

Nice idea, not keen on the execution. I think it would be possible to do a lot more with a song made of GLaDOS samples.

9. Naseer says:

Actually I wasn’t keen on the GLaDOS samples at all. But the turret voices were cute as hell – I could hug them forever.

We need more turret samples!

10. malkav11 says:

I thought the middle section, with GLaDOS telling you how you’ve broken her heart, was deeply moving in a way it totally wasn’t in the actual game.

But there’s definitely room for more to be done with Portal samples.

11. GeekanerdAHR says:

What is it about Portal that inspires such musical brilliance? Or right, the astronomically high quality of the game’s script and characterization. Portal album – yes please.

12. Fen says:

This song has a great beat and a few great melodies but the time signature is all fucked up… If you wrote this song and let somebody else edit it, please kill them. If you wrote this song and left it like this, please upgrade to reason or ableton instead of whatever backwards wave editor you must be using… Please… this song would be great in a mix but I simply don’t have the time to arrange it in such a way.

13. Nike Air Jordan says:

Nike Air Jordan

“You have to really work hard to get (kayaks) to capsize,” Pilling said. “You can turn a canoe over pretty easily.”