Holey Plastic Blocks

It’s the Lego Batman trailer!

Thanks, Gametrailers – unlike criminals, you are not a cowardly and superstitious lot.

Not giving much away, eh? That’s The Batman for you though – all shadowy and mysterious, keeps his cards close to his impeccably-toned chest’n’all. And, of course, there probably isn’t all that much to give away anyway. We can guess pretty much what to expect from this – punch, build, jump, grapple-hook, giggle. Much as I’m tickled by the concept, I think I need to see something that proves this is a little more than Lego Star Wars but with frowning before I get excited – especially with the similarly punch’n’grappley Lego Indiana Jones also on the toy-to-game horizon.

1. THX-1138 says:

Getting into that suit sounds painful, all that clicking, must be athritis.

How different is this gonna be from the Star Wars series? Does anyone know yet?

2. Monkfish says:

It’ll be interesting to see how they go about mixing the dark, brooding elements of the Dark Knight with the kind of humour that’s more akin to the good old Adam West series (currently being rerun on BBC4 on Fridays at just-after-I-get-home-from-the-pub-O’clock).

3. Nick says:

It would be great if they had a level or two based purely around the classic 60’s campfest series.

4. Paul S says:

Cowardly and superstitious, surely?

5. Alec Meer says:

You are correct, superherophile.

6. Icupnimpn2 says:

It’s been known for quite some time now that this game exists. I’d think we’d be past the prerendered teaser point by now, but there has been so precious little released.

Honestly, I’d be happy to play it even if it was just LSW with a coat of guano. But given that Bats doesn’t have force powers, it seems like they’ve got less of an excuse to make piles of bricks fly around and build themselves into vehicles and structures. And let’s face it, that was a large part of the original games.

So are they going to leave in those mechanics without any real justification by intellectual property? Or are they going to include new mechanics that make more sense in context? I suspect the developers are taking so long to show us actual footage because they haven’t found a way to make it novel, yet.

7. Bunny says:

Gah! Must have!
    But it would be even better if the lego batman had the all-important batman neck.