Rückblende

So I was going to post about Speedball 2 being released on Steam, but instead I played Stalker for a couple of hours and then browsed some blogs. Yeah, it’s tough. Anyway, thanks to Indygamer I discovered that one of the most visually interesting IGF entrants (although not one of the shortlisted few), Rückblende, now has a new mirror so you can download and see what the fuss is about. It’s a portly 593mb, or 42.3 Peggles.

As it turns out, the fuss is about a peculiar, dreamlike quasi-adventure/interactive animation with beautiful modeled stills providing a backdrop for hand-drawn visuals. I’m not quite sure what’s going on, but that doesn’t seem to matter. It’s a wonderful thing, with an exquisite soundtrack.

1. varchoel says:

I clicked on that Steam/SB2 link – don’t the two guys look very like Wesley Snipes (with broken nose) and (a younger) Schwarzenegger? Do you think someone’s angling for a Rollerball-type movie tie-in? (Probably not starring the Governor of California, admittedly.)

2. essell says:

“So I was going to post about Speedball 2 being released on Steam…”

Aww – for a moment there I thought you meant the good one…

3. Junior says:

Stalker: Still going strong.

Good job Jim!

4. The_B says:

Mission accomplished Jim. :)

5. Smee says:

Alright. So I climb the tree, look at the spider, listen to the radio, check out the basement. The End. Am I missing something here? Such as, The Rest Of The Game? At the moment it’s a little unsatisfying…but yes, exquisitely produced. Wonderful bit of art. I’m just not sure I’ve actually finished the game properly due to it’s apparent brevity, which is making me feel empty inside.

6. AbyssUK says:

I still think Speedball 2 deserves its own post damn it… lazy journalists

7. Piratepete says:

I don’t think this is a democracy tho abyss :)

8. PoweredByBacon says:

The game ends when I go down the stairs…sooo is there a point to this game other than looking really awesome?