The Free-y of the Fury

Now we don’t normally link to games we haven’t had a chance to play yet, but this screenshot caught my eye from Fury and found its way into a quick festive post.

Sexy vomit

You see, it’s particularly seasonal, because it’s suitably snowy and prominently features a bloke apparently projectile vomiting bile green stuff. And if that doesn’t get a link on RPS, I don’t know what does. Anyway – the news being that Fury, an online action-paced RPG thing, has added a free-to-play option (“Chosen”) which allows you to get a taste for the game for no Earth pounds. If you don’t get horrified by the grammatical apocalypse of “Free 2 Download + Free 2 Play = Free 4 Ever!”, you can get it from here, and then get stuck into feeling aggrieved you have no Voice-chat and a limited friends list.

From this site

1. Seniath says:

Free 2 Download + Free 2 Play = Free 4 Ever!

How could that possibly work? Yes, we could assume that:

Download + Play = Ever!

But that doesn’t account for

Free + Free = Free

Oh, I guess Free could be equal to zero. But who adds zero to zero, what’s the point. Silly marketing speak!

2. dartt says:

Of course Free equates to zero. It’s Free!

3. DigitalSignalX says:

Fury = Streetfighter with martial weapons and magic + some character development = (Yawn)/(opinion)

At least, that was the approach in Beta, it doesn’t appear as if a great deal has changed in the format. Interesting idea though, common zones with a MMO look and feel then instance fighting areas.

4. steve says:

By all accounts I’ve heard the game is terrible… so, does free to play make it any better?

5. Nobby says:

6. James says:

On the Internet, free is more important than good. See Linux, YouTube and speech.

7. Zeno, Internetographer says:

I’ll go ahead and say the ever-popular:

[]Good []Free []Online, pick two.

8. steve says:

I’m not so sure about that… Although I guess since the entire studio is no longer employed it doesn’t matter in this case. I still can’t bring myself to try this one out.

9. Mickiscoole says:

“As much as us Aussie want to get behind this game (even in it’s non-profit making capacity), we just cant – the general consensus is that its terrible.”

And lets not forget that the entire development team were fired recently too…

10. Alexander says:

Yes, I’m glad I’m not running linux on the internet.

11. Fury To The Furnace | Rock, Paper, Shotgun says:

[…] Back in December 07 we mentioned that MMO Fury had added a free-to-play option. This was part of some desperate attempts to rejuvinate the project, closely followed by many staff being laid off, but it has not worked. Fury is to be no more. Auran’s forums have a message stating, “Auran have reached their time limit to find a solution that would help them keep the Fury servers open. No solution has been found and so they have no alternative than to shut the servers down.” […]