Portal Continues To Make Loons Of Us All

What’s that you say? We haven’t posted some lunatic fan-made Portal madness in a while. Oh, ok then, have two.

What we really want is Portal cosplay.

The Rubik’s Companion Cube comes to us courtesy of Niki, tells us says, “My office had a Secret Santa and I got this hand-decorated Rubik’s cube. It was probably the best gift I got this holiday season.”

What fantastic, understanding fellow office peeps. The only thing that could possibly be better would be a fantastic, understanding girlfriend…

RPS reader Rogier linked us to some photos of a gift a colleague received from his girlfriend. A hand-made plush turret. Wow. Rogier explains, “It’s about 12″ tall, and cuddly as all hell.”

1. Monkfish says:

That plush turret is (and I don’t use this word often) awesome.

All we need now is someone to create a plush cake to go with the plush cube and plush turret.

2. Kell says:

I have a fantastic, understanding girlfriend too. She made me this:

link to kell.leveldesign.org

3. Jarmo says:

Kell, marry her. Quickly.

4. yns88 says:

I…I want one :(

5. Junior says:

The awesomeness of the cuddly turret is eclipsed only by the figurine behind it. I always love to see some of the other few people who know of it.

No I’m nt telling, I love being willfully obscure!

6. Clicky says:

Is that figurine from Sectaurs ? Sure looks like one of those.

7. Piratepete says:

Kell, i second that. Marry her now!!!!

8. Man Raised By Puffins says:

@Clicky: It’s from “Invader Zim”, surely?

If RPS is revisiting Portal mania once more, I feel it apt to link to my rather cack-handed Companion Cube crafted from snow.

9. Cargo Cult says:

Web-stats turned up a rather disturbing visitor to my blog-thing – they’d searched for ‘sex with “weighted companion cube”‘.

Which may be going just a little too far with the obsession.

10. Dan says:

Darn, I misread the size of the turret as being 12 feet.

That would have been quite unwieldy.

11. Andrew says:

Plush turret looks excellent! I so want one, much more then the cube thing. Those were just inanimate, I loved the turrets though.

12. Zell says:

Cargo Cult — GTA: WCC?

13. WCAYPAHWAT says:

Surely Zim isn’t all that obscure? Even us convicts know of that one.

14. Tr00jg says:

I’m loving the cubes! I also really really want that Invader Zim figurine in the background.

15. StolenName says:

I have that Invader Zim doll! HA! Two whole series of the little figurines in fact and they’re so damned awesome. The company that produces them went bankrupt though … so you’ll have to pick them up from eBay.

I love the turret but I’m kind of bored with the whole Companion Cube thing. It’s a wonderful icon, like the cake, or GLaDoS, but it didn’t really trigger any feeling in me when I was playing. Did I miss something there? It was less than five minutes of the total game time and it wasn’t nearly as fun or quirky as both GLaDoS or the turrets.

Admittedly, that Rubik’s Companion is pretty killer but I’m not sure I’d have appreciated it as much as that awesome little huggable turret.

@ Kell

Sweet fucking cake dude. What was it? Sponge or eh? I love sponge cake :D

@ Cargo Cult

Errr, I’m hoping they were only searching as a joke… Either way, lulz!

16. marxeil says:

17. LinK says:

Yes Marxeil, i heartily agree!

18. Max says:

When will it end? :/

And I resent the title “making loons of us all” – count me out.

:D

19. Kast says:

“Why is all that Portal stuff plush. I’d love a small, non plush, swiveling (and maybe talking) model of a turret on my desk.”

With motion sensor and speaker. “Hello, who’s there?” BANGBANGBANGBANG… ssccchhckt “I don’t hate you.”

You wouldn’t dare go near your computer ever again.

20. po says:

I’m OK with the idea of a plush cube. Just give me a plush incinerator to go with it.

21. Thelps says:

Surely a plush incinerator would be a massive fire hazard…

Unless it was made of fire-retardant fabric, but that… uh… now I’m just confused.

22. Dave says:

I want a little turret with a motion sensor and tilt switch that can say “no hard feelings” and “are you still there?” and “dispensing product” and all the other stuff.

It doesn’t even need a laser.

23. Man Raised By Puffins says:

Meh, I’m not really fond of the Portal sentry. The first tier TF2 sentry is awesome though, I could do with one of those to sit on my desk complete with an Engy figurine captured mid taunt. Oh, and a Pyro. And maybe a Heavy too. Actually, make it the whole TF2 ensemble and a 2Fort diorama to pose them in.

Hmm, maybe that’s a bit much.