Killing Beasts (In Space)

The other upcoming game from Chris Taylor and Gas Powered Games, Space Siege, has been shown off at CES in Las Vegas. Predictably, it’s looking rather like its template/inspiration, Dungeon Siege. But, y’know, in space.

Thanks, Game Trailers (In Spaaace!)

We’ll be taking a closer look at this action-RPG concoction in our amazing 2008 coverage, next week.

1. fluffy bunny says:

It looks incredibly dull, but I can’t bring myself to dismiss it yet, knowing who the devs are.

2. yns88 says:

“Predictably, it’s looking rather like its template/inspiration, Dungeon Siege. But, y’know, in space.”

Nothing to see here folks, move along now.

3. Schadenfreude says:

Yeah never really thought much of the first Dungeon Siege; think I got two-thirds of the way through by occasionally clicking ‘M’ or ‘H’ before packing it in. Got half-way through the demo of part 2 before doing likewise.

I think I’m also deeply suspicious of any game with the lead developer’s name over the title.

4. I_still_love_Okami says:

That reminds me: I haven’t watched Space Tree the Space Tree in Space for quite some time. I’ll go check it out right away. Thanks, RPS!

Concerning the game: Color me unimpressed.

Dungeon Siege was boring, Dungeon Siege 2 at least had a great start (how many games do you know, where you start as a soldier in the evil army. Well, apart from every second japanese rpg of course…), but got boring too after a while (though not as fast as the first part). This looks like Mass Effect for poor people meets Alien Breed. In Space!!

(Ok, that was unnecassery, since the other games ar In Space!! too)

5. John P (Katsumoto) says:

I think i’m the only person in the world ever who loved Dungeon Siege. Or at least I don’t know anyone else who did.

Come on you guys, there must be ONE of you out there? One of my best gaming memories ever was playing Dungeon Siege at a LAN party years ago. And at the time the scenery was so impressive, so GRAND and inspiring – coupled with a Jeremy Soule soundtrack, I didn’t care if you could get through the entire game by clicking randomly and spamming health potions.

YOU GOT A DONKEY!

6. Joinn says:

I loved it (and still do in fact), occasionally brush the dust off it and play again…

7. Nobby says:

I quite enjoyed Dungeon Seige, but the incredibly shit ending was enough to persuade me NOT to get the add on.

Kill Boss -> Game Over -> Get Fucked.

8. Mal says:

I was enjoying Dungeon Siege until I got utterly lost. I’d emerged from such a large dungeon (completed in several sittings) that I’d forgotten where I was supposed to be going. I wandered around aimlessly until I got bored, stopped playing, and eventually uninstalled it. I was enjoying it until that point and it left such a bad taste in the mouth that I never went back or gave DS2 a second look. Boo.

9. Gremlin says:

Dungeon Siege on a LAN is kind of fun, but I gave up on the single player a long time ago. The game is way too slow: ironic considering Chris Taylor’s stated goal of speeding the gameplay up. More haste, more waste, I guess.
    I’m in the market for a deep action RPG that can be played in co-op, but I’m skeptical that this is it.

10. Andrew says:

I had a lot of fun with Dungeon Siege 2. It was just good clean mindless fun.

11. Thelps says:

Dungeon Siege was a great idea, a nice high-speed, party version of Diablo. Sadly, after the hundredth duungeon it started to get pretty fucking repetitive. Sorry, but expletives really are the only things that do the monotony justice.

The game just needed something to mix things up a bit, but those things never materialised, even in DS2. Shame really, I enjoyed the first few hours a helluva lot.

12. Yhancik says:

Warcraft -> Starcraft
    System Shock -> Bioshock
    Dungeon Siege -> Space Siege

I think we have a pattern here. What’s next ?

13. Scandalon says:

Why, Bioshock -> SpaceShock, of course.
    Sequel takes place on a spacestation in the future…In Space! There might even be an evil robot or computer or something…

14. DigitalSignalX says:

The previous DS titles were very enjoyable. Not brilliant or orgasmic, but I found well worth the money. Perhaps I’m simply happy with mediocrity? I felt the same with many of the almost countless Diablo-esque and Starcraftish RTS clones. While not breaking new ground, breaking new space (*cough*) in Space Siege promises yet another very decent gaming fix in 08.

15. malkav11 says:

I really liked Dungeon Siege quite a bit….on the PSP.

The PC one was rubbish. (Although I may yet have to reinstall it for the Ultima V: Lazarus mod.) Utterly bland, terrible advancement system, interaction-free combat. The second one did do some more interesting things, but clearly didn’t succeed in capturing my interest because I only got into, I think, the first dungeon before something or other got me playing something else.

16. malkav11 says:

That said, I’ll probably investigate this because it’s an SF Diablo clone, and we don’t get enough of those. Don’t have high hopes, though.

17. Chowhound says:

As others have said, combat looks incredibly dull. At least combat looks more exciting than Mass Effect’s.

18. Shanucore says:

“Warcraft -> Starcraft”

I have absolute respect for your right to form and hold your own opinions, but this one appears to be wrong.