Shadowgrounds Survivor Demo

Yeah, it's Aliens, so what.
I’ve enjoyed this immensely: the half-hour time-limited demo of Shadowgrounds Survivor. It’s a 1gb download, but it’s well worth it, especially since I expect many of you will be tempted to sign up for the full game. Despite the Mr Magoo physics implementation and rather docile boss alien, this is a superb leap forward from the original co-op-focused top-down man-versus-aliens shooter. The pace and general polish has been upped and the overall urge to rollick onwards with your assault rifle is great. Completely and utterly recommended.

We should have an interview with Frozenbyte for you later in the week.

1. Cian says:

Half an hour for a gigabyte?

Bollocks to that.

2. Flint says:

I know you’re not too keen on people picking on typing errors, but I thought it would be useful to inform that you’ve typoed one of your tags (“surivivor”), which is probably a noteworthy error to correct.

3. Jim Rossignol says:

Fixed, thanks.

4. Jim Rossignol says:

Also: it’s a pretty good half an hour – and what does a gig cost you?

John Walker says:

We don’t object to people pointing out errors we’ve made. We object to people being dicks about it. Polite corrections are very welcome, but best kept out of comments as they become meaningless once it’s fixed.

6. DigitalSignalX says:

This is truly a fun game – took me back to the days of one my favorite top downs, Heavy Barrel. The entire game will only take you about 6-8 hours, but it will be pretty intense at times. I suggest the hard settings, it’s a bit too easy on normal. No multiplayer but coop looks cool if you can hook up a bud.

7. IvanHoeHo says:

The game does look better and has numerous other improvements, but the lock-you-in-a-room-while-countless-monsters-try-to-kill-you formula is a big turn off for me, especially when compared to the better flow of the original.

8. hoohoo says:

had some fun with the original. been meaning to get this on steam. btw maybe you guys could get some info or an interview with the black cat games guys about alien swarm: infested? link to blackcatgames.com the ut2004 mod was good fun, and the source based swarm looks like a blast.

9. Winterborn says:

I read that as ‘Showgrounds Survivor’ and imagined fighting off carnys and trying to win the throwing hoop game.

10. malkav11 says:

I don’t know that I’d describe a game with a cooperative mode that was tacked on purely as a “we’d like this but don’t have time to implement it comprehensively” extra as “co-op focused”.

11. Muscrat says:

Was thinking of buying the first ShadowGrounds for $10 today, wee bit dissapointed I didnt. Looks fun though – from the makers of Alien Swarm for UT04 methinks.

12. Evan says:

I played the demo of the original Shadowgrounds and didn’t like it. I’ll check this one out.

Muscrat, I think you are confusing Shadowgrounds with Alien Swarm: Infested which is a Source game that will be released on Steam from the people who made th UT2k4 mod.