TF2 is due to get its biggest update so far tomorrow. For free, naturally. Including brand new map, Badlands.
The most important news in amongst the very many tweaks and changes is the introduction of a whole new map, Badlands. The map, originally appearing in Team Fortress Classic, will bring the total to six. (Shacknews have an excellent preview of what’s available in Badlands here). It’s undergone some significant changes since it’s original Capture The Flag incarnation: it’s now a Control Point map, with a much greater focus on vertical movement than the other TF2 events. Read on for more details.
On top of this, there’s to be a collection of optimisations, which extend from graphics to player stats to, perhaps most importantly to regular players, some iteration changes for Dustbowl, Granary and CTF_Well. All these changes are listed below the jump.
SourceTV is also getting a couple of improvements, as well as some tweaks on the Source Engine. Those busy little bees.
Full list of TF2 changes:
* Badlands released
* Changes to Dustbowl
– Added a new access point to the stage2 attacker gates (drop-down left from spawn), allowing attackers a way to reach the left route without being subjected to the spam and sentry gun fire
– Fixed a gap in stage 3, cap 1 that allowed a player to wiggle above the “ceiling” clip
– Fixed a gap behind stage 1, cap 1 house
– Fixed a high perch on stage1 cap1 house roof
– Fixed a perch offering view of nodraw textures and the skybox (stage1 cap2 rock barrier)
– Fixed a few places where rockets/demoman pipes could pass through non-solid models
– Sealed up a gap over stage1 lower startgate
– Clipped off tall windows in stage 3 to prevent sentry guns from behind built behind them
* Changes to Capture the Flag Well
– Fixed trains not starting on map spawn
– Removed cap association from red spawns that were spamming console
* Changes to Granary
– Removed spawn timing advantage from the middle (from -3 to 0)
– Fixed several model perch exploits (red, blue cp1 gate and blue cp2 gate pipe)
– Fixed a few places where players could get stuck between containers and silos
– Adjusted playerclips on red container that made it appear like players were floating
* Added a small delay (200 ms) before a zoomed sniper shot can get a critical hit
* Added server side convar mp_fadetoblack. Same functionality as Counter-Strike, used mainly during in-person tournaments and LAN events
* Added flamethrower “sizzle” sound when the Pyro is hitting a target
* Updated explosion debris to be a bit darker
* Fixed idle players not being kicked from the server if mp_allowspectators was set to 0
* Added ctf_well to the default mapcycle.txt file
* Added ctf_well to the default motd.txt file
* Fixed floor tile material type
* Fixed some weapon damage info missing from TF2 game stats
* Made some small changes to the Demoman viewmodel that were causing performance problems
* Added exec’ing a .cfg file on the client when you select a class to play.
* Added a new timer to the HUD to show the value of mp_timelimit. This is useful if you’re playing a timed match on 2Fort, where you only set a timelimit on the server and no other win conditions.
* Added server log entry for buildings destroyed by their owner
* Fixed sentry gun shadows being clipped
* Updated glass material