To The Brickmobile: New LEGO Batman Screens

Frankly, we know what we’re in for with Lego Indiana Jones – Lucasarts property, swinging with the whip, digging with the spade, shooting with the gun, and no damned Nazis. It’s a natural sequel to Lego Star Wars. Lego Batman, though – there’s a lot more to play with there. Bats’ supervillains offer a little more breadth than Star Wars’ guns’n’Force line-up, plus, not being based directly on a film series, it’s free to tell its own stories in its own gloriously unhinged environments. Brand new screens are beneath the cut.

Dunno as yet whether Lego Batman will be in quite the same vein as LSW was, or if there’s much to rumours of it being a little GTA-esque, but here’s some hot off the presses screenshots to ogle while you speculate. Peer closely and, alongside Bruce Wayne doing his best glower and Robin wondering about boys boy-wondering, you’ll spot The Joker, Harley Quinn, The Penguin and what my memory of reading DC Comics ten years ago believes to be Killer Croc. I don’t know what the really big crocodile is called, though. Super Killer Croc, maybe.

A single click upon each of these may cost you a handful of calories, but it will display a much larger picture. DARE YOU RISK IT?

1. Kast says:

Playing as the Joker and adding your own unhinged dialogue and maniacal laughter is absolutely necessary.

Maybe get your girlfriend/wife/blow-up-doll to play as Harley for extra kicks.

2. etho says:

Can’t bloody wait. Whatever this turns out to be, I can’t imagine not loving it.

3. Grill says:

My brain knows what the Penguin is holding there, but deliberate misinterpretation is the first step to FUN.

4. Flint says:

The first screen with Harvey looks wrong. Very wrong. Instead of the seductive pose (or whatever you call it) she’s trying to pull off, it looks like her bone structure is collapsing.

I don’t know if that’s awesome or not.

5. Nathan says:

I’m guessing it’s a Croc-mobile.

6. Lambo says:

I loved Lego star wars although I never played the second one I’d say this will be awesome. Picture running along as batman singing “Nah-nah-nah-nah-nah-nah-nah BATMAN!!!!” as you suddenly spring into action. You may not but I certainly will.

7. Kast says:

Flint said “The first screen with Harvey looks wrong.”

I got very confused, thinking Harvey Dent (aka “Two-face”) was on there somewhere and I’d missed him. I believe you mean ‘Harley’ :P

8. Flint says:

Erm, so I do! Whoopsie there, apparently my brain decided to explode.

9. Stew says:

DO WANT!

10. Optimaximal says:

I hate to break it to you, but it’s Lego… On a computer… in Beta… Featuring characters from a comic book.

11. dhex says:

so…how do lego creatures die? severe fractures?

or does the series pretend that they’re not really legos?

12. Lambo says:

I believe they just break up into pieces or at least the droids in Star wars did if I remember rightly. Although the more human characters in cutscenes (I think) just kinda did a pantomime effort and just fell over (the lego people never talk, but they have a lot of expressions for plastic faces)

13. Rich Powers says:

I guess the silence makes sense so you don’t have to dub or impersonate the characters on which the Legos are based…

14. Max says:

Why Lego though? I guess it would be asking too much for a decent regular Batman game though. =D

15. Ben Hazell says:

I love lego, but lego is plastic and some of those shots look the wrong side of rubber.
    Still, it can’t really fail to be brilliant in motion when you never see these contortions.

16. drunkymonkey says:

The Joker looks suitably mint.

17. Ohle says:

Strangely, I can’t wait to get my hands on this one. Batman games have never been my thing, and I didn’t really feel driven to play Lego Star Wars. But look how adorable Joker is!

18. Mongychops says:

Did Joel Schumacher direct this one? God I hope so!