Nanosmiles

I spotted this indirect area shooter over on a new blog called EngRish Games. (The blog is run by a chap who’s blogging when Japanese indie games are translated into English.) It took me a few moments to figure it out, but once I got into the rhythm of playing Nanosmiles proved to be whipped double fun. You move your ship around to pick up secondary drone ships and avoid the green-coloured bads. Holding Z creates an attack zone which freezes your drones in place as they shoot at whatever is in the area, turning it into a leafy explosion. Use the cursor keys for movement, but be careful as the level ends as you’ll cycle through the menu in an annoying fashion. That’s the only bad design in here though, from what I can see. It’s absorbing and clever.

At 13mb it’s less than a Peggle in size and a wonderful piece of shmuping. Get it from here.

1. Feet says:

The Last Room level.

God. So frustratingly hard!

2. nabeel says:

Awesome pixelly intro. Game’s not so bad either.
    nabeel

3. Feet says:

Finished it! That last level was mean.

4. DigitalSignalX says:

very interesting idea. no HEAVY BARREL option when you get like 5 shooter helper thingies though

5. Matt says:

How did you finish it?

I’ve been using the tactic of floating over one of my wing-men so they take all the flak and I constantly re-awaken them by being on top of them, but its quite difficult to stay directly over them.

6. JohnG says:

Grab them both, head down, and try to make sure your first target is one that’ll drop an extra ship, do this till you have 3 or 4 then take out the spawner thing, and then cycle round the other corners. took about 50 attempts though

7. Feet says:

JohnG: That’s exactly the way I did it. You need luck and single-minded persistance to do it. Go down the bottom and take out the baddie that fire the homing bullets on the right hand side, grab the extra wingman and then chip away till you have 5 wingmen and take out the spawner thing. From there you should just b able to slowly chip away at the rest of the level, starting from the bottom and working your way up.

8. RPS Omnibus: March 23 - 29 | Rock, Paper, Shotgun: Pagans repent! The Endless Bear is your true God says:

[…] games and gaming frippery Glitch Racer – From the Toribash fellas Nanosmiles – area-effect Japanese shmup Masq – sexy-sex branching adventure game, with link to dev interview […]

9. Mae says:

I love this game. I really do. I just wish there was more of it (haven’t beaten the last level yet). I love how you unlock songs as you progress, gives you more to look forward to. If it had more stuff i could see it on the DS or PSP, maybe with Lumines style skins and music unlocks? …Too bad that’s just wishful thinking.

10. pellet mill says:

That’s awesome!!!!! You got a good internship! the fact that you enjoy your work you will least likely fall into what other call “burn-out”. You see your internship as natural process of learning and small pellet mill that was very great! However, if that experience doesn’t turn as job opportunity don’t think of it as invaluable for your future because that learning can be used in many ways.