A Fallout Boy & His Dog: New Fallout 3 Images

Dogs, like meals on legs
Good morning, Internet. Let’s brighten up your day with a look at the grim post-apocalyptic wastelands of Fallout 3, which are illustrated in some brand new images over on German-language gaming site, pcgames.de. Look at all those lovely mutants. (Edit: having some troubles with that gallery link. I’ve updated the URL, but still can’t get at some of the images. I’ll see if we can get them to post in full on here. Nope, they’re leaked magazine assets. We’ll hopefully have some more information direct from Bethesda in a few weeks.)

The images seem to show the first glimpses of your canine sidekick, as well as some big brown baddies.

1. Kieron Gillen says:

Sorry guys – it seems that WP2.5 will sometimes delete all comments if you change its title.

KG

2. Phil says:

Mein Gott, dieses schaut gut.

Also good to see the new fallout isn’t going to shy away from the fundamentals i.e. hitting wolfs in the face with fully atomatic weapons fire.

3. much2much says:

Not all of us can sprechen de deutsche so how about a direct link?

4. Dude says:

Hum can’t find them….

5. Jim Rossignol says:

Try that new link, dunno why that URL stopped working.

6. Flint says:

Aww, I was hoping from the headline that you’d be able to have a dog as a companion but apparently it’s just wolf splatting (based on the pic and the previous comment). Still, I wish there was a dog NPC. No post-apocalyptic scenario is complete without a trusty canine friend by your side.

Also I can’t find these sodding screens from this German site. The link just throws me into the main page.

EDIT: ooh a new link!

7. Doug F says:

Phil:

Surely you’re not suggesting we shoot Dogmeat?

8. Jim Rossignol says:

No, I think it does suggest you have a dog companion. Image 6, which I can’t get to come up in full, has someone walking along next to a dog. Whether it’s the player character however…

9. MisterBritish says:

Yeah, I think Emil has strongly hinted a couple of times you’ll get a Dogmeat style dog companion.

Edit: Here in fact.

10. Man Raised By Puffins says:

They look like they’ve got the design of the Ghouls spot-on, shame the super mutants still look rubbish though.

I couldn’t get some of those screens to load when I found them, but this site is mirroring the lot.

@Phil: I think that Wolf is a new Dogmeat (Edit: you can just about see the 101 on the back of his overalls, so that is the PC).

11. Briosafreak says:

And yes, that’s the new Dogmeat.

12. Flint says:

Yayyyy, doggy :D.

13. Babs says:

Ayt least the Mutants don’t look *exactly* like orcs anymore, though the model doesn’t really look finished. The sense of scale is nice though, those muthas are big.

My favourite screen is the birthday party with people wearing little hats. It show’s more character than anything else I’ve seen so far.

14. xqwzts says:

I’d shed a tear, but I already buried away all my happy post-apocalyptic memories when Bethesda took over.

15. DosFreak says:

I’d still like to see screenshots that don’t look like every other game and that focus on things that Fallout/RPG fans care most about.

I also agree with another poster on another website that dogmeat shouldn’t look so nice. In the above screenshot he looks well-fed, fat and happy.

16. Optimaximal says:

<3 Dogmeat!!!

17. Joonas says:

I can’t really believe that Fallout 3 is actually almost upon us. For real! Getting excited now, if the screens look a bit generic.

18. Spiff says:

Gah, is it just me or do those screen shots scream “S.T.A.L.K.E.R”?
    That’s not bad per se, but Fallout isn’t STALKER and I hope they don’t go for the “oh-wait-there-is-a-ghoul-at-every-corner-watch-out!” style of game play.

19. Zeno, Internetographer says:

Kill it and eat it.

20. wcaypahwat says:

I wish I had payed more attention in German class during high school…. I’m wondering why they sneakily dropped in a screen from Tactics…

21. Phil says:

@ Doug F:

Frankly, by the endgame Dogmeat would have kicked my arse if I tried it. Damn thing played fetch with supermutant limbs.

The second game though, with the chance of a Mad Max encounter if you offed the Mutt (that I never actually got), that’s a different story.

22. Cigol says:

*groan*

Just hurry up and release it, I’m getting sick of looking at these sorts of screenshots and deriving nothing of note. It’s fallout, you paid for the license, show us fallouty stuff for fck sake.

23. Jockie says:

For that true fallout feel they should add idiotic npc sidekicks.

Fond memories of giving Ian his first SMG then staring in exasperated disbelief as he sprayed my brains across the pavement.

Also does anyone else think the third screenshot on the German site has a bit of an Anime look about it?

24. Richard says:

There was a Fallout preview supplement, I think in PC Zone, back in the day, which featured interviews with some of the developers. One of the questions was something along the lines of “Can you give any tips?”

The answer was “Don’t give Ian the Uzi. I mean it.”

25. Jeremy says:

Post-apocalyptic stuff makes me so happy. Fallout 3 makes me happy. Happy happy joy joy

26. antonymous says:

Yeah I just can’t wait for my Oblivion with guns set in some depressing wasteland. Breathtaking realism in the decision to have your own antisocial attack dog, too.

Is right that I heard it’s really all modeled on northern England too?

27. TychoCelchuuu says:

I just watched A Boy and His Dog again the other day and now I’m pumped for Fallout 3. Sort of.

28. Lightbulb says:

All iu hope is that its not as mechanically broken as the TES games IV in particular…

29. Willem says:

Is it me or are half those screens not working? And is the site broken a bit?

30. Jim Rossignol says:

I believe those images are supposed to have been removed from the site.

31. Jog says:

Ah a boy and his dog…that was a funny movie I really liked. :)

BTW go no NMA and look at those screenshots. I am shocked WTF WTF WTF NO SHADOWS AT ALL ??????????
    link to nma-fallout.com
    link to nma-fallout.com

I can’t see any shadows from any object… sad :(

32. Lh'owon says:

Well in Oblivion they took out dynamic shadows to increase performance, so clearly in FO3 we won’t have shadows at all. It’s progress.

33. Kevin Lee says:

Vault 101 huh? Wonder what part of their vault broke first?

34. Lukasz says:

WTH? zombies in my fallout? are they crazy?
    (and they are not Ghouls for sure!)

35. Blindpsychic says:

Optimistically speaking, I hope they decide to keep this game relatively moddable. Even if it falls short of being great, modders who worship old fallout can put their money where their mouths are.

Mods took Oblivion from good to great, and Stalker from great to awesome.