The Fog Fall

That's RUBBISH hiding.

I’ve long been a fan of Mateusz Skutnik’s Flash adventures, so it’s always splendid news when a new one appears. The latest from his mini team at Pastel Games is The Fog Fall, which you can handily play after the jump. Or by downloading it from here.

I’m a bit disappointed that another series seems to have been started, rather than a follow-up to last year’s Daymare Town. I’m also fractionally disappointed that The Fog Fall does nothing especially original, but rather goes through the Skutnik motions. They’re still lovely motions, and the inventory puzzles are infinitely more rewarding than anything in any professional modern adventures, but this does eventually descend into tapping in the numbers you’ve seen on walls into keypads around the building. As ever, it looks just completely lovely. It’s scratchy Flash sketches are especially evocative, and this is the least fiddly of all his games when it comes to finding hotspots. If the ending’s an ending, it goes completely over my head – I’m assuming this is the start of another run, although one that seems remarkably similar to the end of Submachine’s series.

1. Tim says:

Mateusz Skutnik Says:
    April 19th, 2008 at 6:06 pm
    10gnomes, daymaretown2 and covert front3 later on ;)

2. Thelps says:

Very atmospheric. Nice use of colour too. Put me in quite a calm, contemplative mood after playing that.

3. Kast says:

Nice that there’s several red herrings to play with. However I do wish I understood what was going on rather better.

4. J. Prevost says:

The problem with this kind of thing is adventure game moon logic. Why does qtoqoqtqhqpqaqsqtqeqqqpqlquqsqqqtqoqxqiqcqqqbquqrqnqqqoquqtqqqtqhqeqqqlqoqcqkq? It doesn’t make any sense, you just have to try everything.

I’d much rather a game where the things you do make some kind of reasonable sense, rather than just having a “click on everything until something works”.

5. Kommissar Nicko says:

I went through it with the hope that there was going to be an epiphany at the end. I found later that there was not. I’m still not sure what is supposed to be going on. Killer mist? Was there a nuke? I don’t know! And I still don’t.

6. phuzz says:

I do like the picture on the wall in the bed room, I wish there was a bigger version I could have as wallpaper or something

7. boutheina says:

where we put the metal piece & plaste